PENN 309 (M) HISTORY ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 17, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SO AFTER I SOLD MY 209 ON HERE A WHILE BACK BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED, MY OLD SALT OF A NEIGHBORE BOUGHT A 309 TO PUT ON ONE OF HIS TUNA RODS......

NORMALLY HE USES THE THESE MASSIVE GOLD REELS (I THINK INTERNATIONAL MODEL FROM PENN) BUT HE DECIDED TO TRY ONE

!!!!!!!!!!HHEE LLOOVVEEDD IITT!!!!!!!!!
    HE WANTS ME TO EBAY A FEW OF THEM FOR HIM TO GET A ROUGH ESTIMATE OF ABOUT 9 MORE :=:)

SO IM POSTING THIS CASUE ID LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SOME OF YOU ALL OUT THERE THINK ABOUT A 309 BEING USED AS A CPR, BIG HOGG, (HOLY CRAP GET THE NET) REEL:)

STILL PLAN ON USING MY SNAGGING RODS :)

SO THIS COMBO WILL BE :
    6 FT 40-80 LB SNAGGING ROD & PENN 309M (60 LB MONO-BRAID)

SOUNDS LIKE A CHAMP BUT ID LIKE MORE OPINIONS FIRST :)
    LeRoy

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    They are definatly a solid reel for big fish.....not as good as the internationals but not to many reels are! They take awhile to get used casting em but once you get it down you will be happy.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    got 2 of them with packed with 300 yds of fresh Moss Green 100LB PP on a H action James River Rod, I know I can reel in a 200LB Cat with this combo. The Drag is powerful, clicker loud, 8oz cats this reel to the middle of the James, what more could you ask for in a Combo?

4. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    For the money the 309 is a pretty solid reel. Only 2 negatives & this is some thing I noticed on the older ones I have not used one that has been made in the last 4yrs. or so.

First, the drag I have thought was a little weak for a reel of this size.
    Second backlash can get get your line caught between the spool & frame.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Several years back when I was young and strong, we used the Penn 309 for snagging below Kentucky dam. Never had one to fail or give us any problems. They will get the big job done. The one thing I disliked was the slow retrieve.

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I dont know about the old ones but you gotta try the new ones, I cant remember the last time I backlashed this reel. once you learn to cast a baitcaster consistently its almost impossible to backlash. The Drag is the best I have personally experienced on any reel. The clicker is very loud and strong, even in strong river current with 10oz weight I have no problems. I know I have 100LB PP with a 80LB leader but I have muscled in 30LB Flats and 50LB Blues like they were largemouth bass with this reel. Winch is the only name for it, obviously your friend likes them if he wants 9 more lol. I couldnt cast it very far when I first got it, but after pairing it with a big, stiff, strong rod, some heavy line and adequate 8-10oz weights its crazy. I get my furthest casts with 6-8oz

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well if you didnt like the 209 you wont like the 309 because there pretty much the same reel

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    TIMES GOT TUFF AND I HAD TO SELL SOME OF MY GOOD FISHING STUFF :disapointed:

IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE EITHER WORTHLESS STUFF OR GOOD STUFF AND IM SLIGHTLY PIECING TOGETHER MY GOOD STUFF BACK :Nop:

9. nitrofreq

nitrofreq New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have a 209 and a 309 that are 25+ years old. i just recently cleaned and oiled the 209, and put it on my ugly stik cat rod. the 309 has never had any maintenance. ever. and is still going strong. i dont know the quality of the new reels, but these 2 reels are indestructable. i dont have a rod yet for the 309 but it will be my big fish reel. these reels are awesome as far as im concerned. i have no problems casting either of them. i couldnt get a backlash if i tried.

cody.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Put the 309 on your Snaggun Stick with some 100# braid. I havent caught a large cat yet on it, but I caught a 20# gar and it headed for the tree brances, shoot I reeled both of em in. Fish and tree limb. It is a awesome river combo.

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Its been well documented that it isnt the greatest casting reel,but adequate.The Penn HT-100 drags are very strong though,and it is a winch to say the least.The older models on Ebay along with a new set of drag washers and youre set.

12. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 309 is just 1 of many Penn's I own and yes it can siimply do the job.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They,re a work horse.Definitely get the job done.

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have 2 of them for snagging..I have 80 lb Tuf-line from cabelas and one yeaster day i got some Spider wire camo from bass pro on cleaence for $3.50 in 80lb...O and just fo r a cheap line tip..Council Bluffs bass pro is out of it but i Got 6 spools of power pro 300 yd spools on clearence for $12 each!!!

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    NICE :)

2 PEOPLE SENT ME A PM TELLING ME IM USING "waaaaay to HHUUGGEE of tackle man o man !!!!!!!!" or "you might as well be using a log chain as your main line:mad-tongue:":mad-tongue:

YEA.......AND THE FUNNY THING IS ONE OF THESE 2 PEOPLE TOLD ME WHEN I FIRST STARTED THE BOC THAT I COULD NEVER HAVE TO BIG OF TACKLE......

16. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the post. I have been looking at reels and compairing. Sounds like Penn may be a good choice.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

No such thing as overkill Leroy!:err:

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Funny how that works huh? lmao!!!

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have a 309 that i use when fishing off the end of the piers in FLA and for big cat fishing. they are stout reels, and they can def handle the biggest of fish. they dont cast (for me) as well as some of smaller reels, like the abu 6600 or 7000, but the def are a stout good reel.

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELL.... EVEN THROUGH I KNOW THE 9M,109,209,309, HAVE ALL PROVEN THEMSELFS...... MY REALLY REALLY CHEAP $35 PLASTIC OKUMA CLASSIC 302 L HAS SUCH A SMOOTH DRAG IT ISNT FUNNY

I HAVENT FOUND A SINGLE THING ABOUT OKUMA TO COMPLAIN ABOUT !!!

:E3: THE ENTIRE FRAME OF THE REEL IS PLASTIC AND I CAN SLIP 15 LBS OF WEIGHT OFF THE SPOOL WITH NO HESITATION

I JUST PURCHASED A NEW TOY TODAY :

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Okuma-Classic-Pro-Reels-s/1664.htm I GOT THE 452 MODEL