Penn 309 levelwind problems

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by grizzly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yesterday I decided to respool my 209, but when disengaged the levelwind would hang up every time it came to the right side of the reel. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it but it didn't help. I ended taking it off. Even when turning it by hand it would hang in the same place every time. Does Penn sell parts for these? What gets me is the reel has been used very little. Mostly it was learning to cast it, and have only fished with it a handull of times.

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Oops, was supposed to say 309, not 209.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like the Pawl is worn out. Most Penn reels come with an extra Pawl that is on the side plate behind a cap screw. Undo the screw on the bottom of the level wind and remove the old one and replace it with the other one.

4. 69Charger

69Charger New Member

State:
    Tx
  5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Chester.

PS. You might want to consider puting a pic of yourself up cause that one won't last long buddy!!! We all like to see who we are talkin to cause it helps with the family atmosphere that we try to maintain on the board. I can almost bet that you are not a fish, LOL!!!

6. 69Charger

69Charger New Member

State:
    Tx
    Thanks for the advice Dreadnaught, I changed it immediately. I wouldn't want to get in trouble on my first post.:smile2: