Penn 309 gear upgrade

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Believer, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Is there anyway to upgrade the gear ratio on a 309? I like the reel, but the 3:1 retrieve rate is a bit slow.

Thanks!

Eric

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Of course 209's too!

3. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You should be able to the gears out of a 500 the same size but a higher gear ratio than the 309,may be able to find some on ebay for not that much if you are lucky

4. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anyone tried changing to the Penn 500 gears and is it a hard to do fix? Are there any more options? Thanks, Randy

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I would be surprised if the gearing of a 500 jigmaster highspeed would fit a 209/309. They aren't that fast anyway. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I bet that it would be more efficient to decide on the gearing that you want, find models that offer that speed, and pick them up on ebay or auctions. There were 200+ reels at a local sale last sat. I bought several, but there was a mint big calcutta rod/reel combo that sold for $50 and 2 7' fenwicks with shimano calais 200's that went for about 75$. Ironically, the abu's brought all the money. I got a nice 500, 2 senators, and a quickchange 140 with long spool. The guy who bought the calcutta looked like he would have bid to the death, so I did not run him up. Good luck with speed. I have gone to abu for 5.3 ratio on levelwinds. Best wishes, Hannibal Mike