Penn 259

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, Mar 28, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello and thanks in advace i have purchased a penn 259 live bait caster on impulse (oh the shame) for 10.00 bucks a little brassing no pitting other wise clean reel. i later did some research to find that it is comperable to the jigaster or at least some parts are interchangeable which would lead me to believe it is i good reel to say the least i found a few articles on some casting sites and it supposedly it is a good distance casting reel. Any added info would be greatly appreciated .

2. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    ive got the 249, it uses most if not all the 500 parts. you cant go wrong for 10 bucks. hope that helps.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would like to find one for 10 bucks.Don't think it has the better drag system that later Penn's have but should be good enough.The later model drag system may fit if you have problems.
    Jake

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks all for your responses so far but if i am not mistaken it has the ht 100 drag or atleast it can be put in . I have been looking i believe it has a slower more powerful gear ratio 2 or 3:1.1 . I think the 500 is a little faster at 4:1.1 .

5. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a 259 for 10 bucks, great deal ya got there. If memory serves, the posts and reel seat are identical to the jigmaster, as well as the spools. Great free spool on em. I got one, but liked the looks of it so much I figured I'd keep it as a collector. I believe the 259 uses the same size drag as the Penn 60.