Penn 230 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by vlparrish, Dec 6, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I just got my Penn 230 GTO in today. Man what a reel, if I knew it was that big I would have gotten the 220. lol Vern

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Hey Vern, I have been wonderin if on the 230,, the lever goes forward to lock and back to cast,, reason I was wonderin is because I use the 330's and wantin to know if they operate the same

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Hey Vernon, I did the same thing you did, I got a 230 and it was to big and bulky so I sold it and got me a 220 which I like better but the 230 is a good reel.

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I got mine yesterday too, and holy crap, it is huge. I couldnt believe it when i opened it up and saw it. Between that Sturdy stik rod and that reel, we'll definately get a workout from casting..lol It sure is a good looking reel, I hope it works ok and lasts a long time.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats, on a nice Penn 230 GTO.

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I just looked at the 220's, 230's, and the 330's and decided that the 230's and 330's were so big it would cost me a fortune jsut to put line on it ....LOL So, I went with the 220's just picked up 2 of them.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the 220 gto's and have had some problems with the level-wind system on them so just watch that close. I have went to using mostly the 209's and Shamano Tekota's. One end of the price spectrum to the other! I still have 4 220's and havent had them act up yet.:wink:

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Scott, yea the GTOs work just like any other Penn I have ever seen. I would have ordered the 209 again, but they weren't listed on the catfish connection site. Funny thing was I just ordered a 209 from there a couple of weeks ago. Vern

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i dont think the 220's have the best levelwinds thats for shure. i messed one up and the other one has humps in the spool so it will probally be taken off soon to. wonder if penn would send out some improved replacements:eek:oooh:

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Thanks for the info, i like my 330's alot and havent had any problems with them, reason i was wonderin about the operation of the 230 is because it is similar to the 330 and about half the price, and if it worked backwards,, i dont want it, because i would prolly screw up when casting,lol,,,,the 230 is the only reel i would consider buying instead of the 330,,IMO
    yeah the reel might seem a little too big at first, untill you are on the big river and in the current and hook a biggun and the big reel becomes awful nice then,lol,,,i know you will like the 230 after a couple of trips,,

11. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i got one of the 220 last year it seems to be a good reel so far

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I hope this will let me see page 2 of this thread. lol Vern

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well if your gonna try out some reels take a pflueger contender for a test drive the g30 is the same size as the 220 for around the same price and imo a better reel

14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have 3-- 220s and 3---- 320s they work really well. you can get the 220s from catfish connection with rod clamp for 46.00 this month, thats a great price on a very good reel

15. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    How much bigger are these reels than the abu 7000's?

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bigtater, The 320 is a huge reel, it has the same line capacity as the 309. The 220 GTO is similar in size to the 7000. Vern

17. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I have a busted 230 GTO here. The idler gear stripped in it. There are none to be found right now. Penn has them back ordered. No telling when they will be available. Vern, just hope your 230 stays in one piece for now.

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    FELLAS IF YOU READ THE BASS PRO / CABELAS REVIEWS ON THE NET THE GTO IS OK, THE GTI REELS ARE BETTER. I HAVE 3 OF EACH THE GTI IS A FAR BETTER REEL FOR THE LITTLE MORE MONEY YOU PAY FOR IT.

GOOD FISHIN