Penn 220 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by okiekrawler, Feb 27, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i got the penn 220 gto's today. i have seen different opinions about penns on here but i gotta tell ya, that reel casts pretty well. maybe not up there with a 7000, but pretty darn close.. using a 7'6" quantum big cat on both we,re talkin maybe 10 yards difference. that may be a crude number because i was just castin across a feild but i was impressed. i have also heard about the major difference in casting without backlash. i did not have any problem casting the penn. for $53.00 i feel pretty good about it.

2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I got one too and so far i like it. The catfish dont seem to like it yet, but ill give it some time. Does yours make a faint clicking sound when reeling?

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    yep,just a little bit of noise. but i kinda dig it. it seems like a well built reel i think i am gonna like it alot.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I think most of the reels that are designed for heavier fishing do that. My tidewater does it too, and it is designed for heavy freshwater. But the Penn's are nice. I am hoping to get a 320 lever drag for my next birthday, since I cant really buy it now (money issues.) But yes, they are VERY nice reels for the money.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I pretty mutch talked my friend into buying one of these. He was looking at the tidewater reels untill I told him about the gto how its pretty close to the gti for alot less and, he's sold. I hope they are I dont see him being dissapointed but they were kind of leary on the specific details. the gti is advertised as: 4 aircraft grade ss sealed bearings, ss pinion, bronze main gear HT-100 drag. The gto is adv. as ss ball bearings no # of how many, bronze main gear no mention of pinion, also no mention of type of drag ???? HT-100 ???? Can anybody who owns one fill me in on the drag and # of bearings. Also anyone owning both gti gto, how close of a match are they. Thanks!