Penn 220 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jul 9, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I WENT OUT AND GOT A PENN 220 I THINK IT SUCKS IT WONT CAST IVE TRIED EVERYTHING, ITS BUILT LIKE A BATTLESHIP BUT WHAT GOODS A SHIP IF IT CANT SAIL I WARN YALL NOT TO GET THIS REAL

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My experience was different. I've got several and really like them. They cast well for a reel this size, better than the Abu 9000 they replaced. It's not fair to compare a big reel like this to something like an Abu 6xxx, but the Penn 220 GTO's cast well for a larger reel, have a great drag, and the price would be hard to beat.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have one and it casts well and works flawlessly. Maybe you got the proverbial bad one.

Cheez

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have 2 of them. Built like a tank, wont cast like my new 7000ic3 but once you loosen them up they cast as far as I need to. What kind of line are you useing and weight size?

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IM NOT BASHING THE REEL ITSELF I JUST CANT CAST IT IM USING SPIDERWIRE AND IT CATCHES AND BACKLASHES 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 AND THROUGHS MY BAIT OFF IVE TRIED EVERYTHING I HAD BIG CAT LINE ON IT AND IT CAST A LITTLE BETER I THOUGHT THE BRAIDED WOULD CAST BEETER BUT NOT ON THIS REEL, IM GOING TO SELL IT AND GET AN ABU C3 65OO

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like you dont have it set right, what rod is it on and how mutch weight are you trying to cast?

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I would try a different line first if memory serves me correctly there have been complications reported before as far as spiderwire casting , anther ? is are you familiar with penn casting reels and the adjustments needed to cast them most efficiently . I personnally had all sorts of problems casting them at first , here are a couple of foot notes to help out . as far as spool adjustments tighten the spool tensioner with the weight and bait to be used , then with the reel in free spool let the weight drop so that it drops slowly and stops when it hits the ground without over running the spool (birds nest ) then try lobbing the bait out but you must use heavier weight until you get the hang of it . This will make casting a lot less aggrevating when done properly the spool should move very little from side to side in the body of the reel . On another note when using braid it must be spooled tightly and larger diameter lines are easier to learn with and i also used bulk spools of cheaper lines as to make it easier on the pockets also .

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You got to buy a ship with sails to sail.Penn don;t advertise this reel for sailing or casting.Did you buy the wrong reel for the job that you wish to do with it or is the reel malfunctioning?I have seen people of all ages,sexes and various disabilities cast Penn reels of many different models and sizes.Normally when one "Won't cast" something is wrong with the reel or the caster is doing or not doing something that is preventing it.Have you tried to get other accomplished casters to try it?When all else fails,give it to a fishing 12 year old with the understanding that "he can have it if he learns to cast it".The price of the reel will be well worth the lesson you will get and the satisfaction you will feel inside.I know!I have seen this simple "remedy"cure several reels that "would not cast"of various makes.We are all different.I am sure that you can cast reels that others cannot.This is what makes us human.The ones that profess to be able to do everything only do so in their own minds.I wish you the best of luck.I have bought my share of reels that "won;t cast"in my 62 years.It is part of life.Don;t give up.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee ::ps,If you happen to be 12 years old,I say that it has to be the reel.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL ITS NOT THAT BAD WHEN USING MONO ,I JUST PUT THE BRAIDED OFF OF IT ONTO MY ABU RED6000 ITS A NICE REEL BUT ITS NOT AS GOOD AS MY 6500 PRO ROCKET

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have a penn 220 cast like a dream. set on 100yd line at the dam and cast almost to the dam.I'm going to buy one more soon.

11. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i just bought one last year an have had good luck with mine casts good an the drag seems to work good to sounds like you have a bad reel or its not setr right

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    one thing i do when casting big is after i let go i put my thumb back on the spool to slow down the momentum like double clicking the mouse. most of the time thats all thats needed some time its not needed some time i got to slow it down throughout the cast. so thats about all i have to say about that, thumb on spool cast asap thumb back on the spool asap thumb back off the spool.:wink:

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

like all penns you need to play with them to get them just right.if you are backlashing all the time its you not the reel and you need more pratice with it. i bought a 220 i like it but the clicker in mine was junk. but once i have tuned it it casts just as good as my old 209's or maybe even better

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what kind of line do u gat on that penn pewwe

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had Bass Pro spool the made in USA Penn 345 GTI with 600 yards of their brand of 30 lb.mono.The reel is rated for 375 yards of 50 lb.mono.I mounted it on a 7 ft.Daiwa BEEF STICK Model No. BF EB701 MHR 7MH 1-5 oz. 15-50 lb.rod.My reasoning was that I am crippled up and 7 lbs.of drag is now my max.and 5 lbs.is more my working level.Way less at times.My son and grandson fish fresh water,tidewater and saltwater as I did.The 600 yards of line gives you way more time to cut loose and follow Cobia,King Mackerel.Wahoo.Barracuda,Bluefish,Tuna,Sharks and the Jacks.Clean sandy bottom and plenty of room if you clear the structure you fish around.If the fish goes into structure right off,200 lb.line and a Penn International won;t help.These fish swim at speeds from 30 to 50 miles per hour.It also makes a great "big cat rig".I have a Penn 68 that I am waiting on drag washers for.I expect that I will spool it with 50 lb.mono.I have regularly fished 50 and 80 lb.mono around shell,jetties,pilings and reefs.You can cut that kind of line a lot and still reel in the slower smaller fish.I just keep my drags set for what the reels were designed to be set at to keep from damaging my reels.Treat your reels like your grandma.You can enjoy them and pass them on to your grandchildren in great shape.I fiddle with my reels,dream and fish mostly through people like you anymore.I cain;t complain.I have done my share and more of nearly everything that I wanted to do in my 61 years.Thanks for sharing your life with me.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I have 2-- 220 gto's.. I started off with 50 lb. braid.. I took it off and bought Cabellas Saltwater high vis yellow 50 lb mono.. It has less memory than most mono and I love it and my Penn 220.. No they don't cast like an Abu, but then I don't like Abu's.. But I do like Penns.. Thats why they make so many different styles and brands.. It's the same as the old Ford.. Chevy... Dodge argument.. If I still had the 2 Abu's I gave away I'd trade you for your Penn.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just re lined mine now it casts great

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That is great news!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I guess that's why you didn't answer my pm about trading the 220 for a 6500

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i take back what i said obaut this reel, i reelined it and ajusted the break and it cast like an ambassader