Penn 220 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PeZ, Aug 28, 2006.

1. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    PEZ I have one ,a good friend gave me, I am impressed, with it, a very good sloid reel, worth the money, and very good looking to.
    can;t tell you about any big fish caught on it , I haven;t had it that long.
    But I normaly run 7000 abu. have, 5 , this reel 220 seems as good and solid .
    I think their, a good buy for money. I like it, anyway.
    Jim

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks Jim for the input does it cast as well as the 7000?

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have found them for 59.99 and just was wondering how they compair to other reels being used by BOC Brothers

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Tom, I bought a few of the 220s a while back and have been really impressed with them. There stainless gears are solid and stainless reel looks and so far has held up great. My favorite reels I have. I give em' A+

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Pez

I've got several, they are my primary reels for river fishing. They are a good stainless steel design with a strong, smooth drag and a loud clicker. IMO they are one of the best values out there, and they have replaced some more expensive reels in my arsenal.

"does it cast as well as the 7000?"
    Probably not, but that's a tough comparison. The 220 casts well, but with it's bigger spool size it gives up a little to the 7000 in casting distance. The Penn 310GTI would be more comparable to the 7000.

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i own a penn 220 gto its a workhorse of a reel it will winch in any cat no problem but casting it is a task for me but once you get it out there thats the one you want the big ones to hit on I got mine paired up with a 7ft ugly stick tiger mh and i'm waiting for a 100 plus pounder to bite
    Trevor