Penn 220 GTO Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishbills, Dec 14, 2006.

1. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just purchased 2 of these reels and put line on them. I had to re-wind each reel about 3-4 times and still the reel has more line on the right side of the spool. I ran the line through the eyes on my rods first and had the line firm putting it on. I even checked and made sure the line was tied in the middle of the spool on the little section that is rough, before starting. The level wind looks like it is working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thx a bunch! I just havent had any of my reels put the line on uneven before.

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Never had that problem Billy but maybe try tightening the drag. Do all of them do it.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't understand it either. We've got a couple of them, but haven't had that problem. Probably doesn't matter, but what kind/size line are you using? Have you tried casting across the yard with a heavy weight, then reel it back? See what happens....:confused2:

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put Berk big-game 30lb on them..Yes I have tried casting with weight and reeling back. run all line off and re-spooling tight on reel. watched level-wind, looks like its working properly. Reels dont do it untill spools about 3/4 full(line looks pretty uniform untill then)then line starts getting more on spool on right side.:confused2:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My 209 built up slightly more on the right side when I first loaded it. It seems to help to guide the line by pulling it slightly to the left as you put it on.

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look at this other thread. Maybe this is part of the answer. Link here

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One of my3 220 GTO's does that, too, the others are ok. I've never worried about it too much, as it works just fine, and overall I really like the reels. The line is 100lb PowerPro. I can't rule out the cast control being loose when I spooled it (as mentioned in the other thread). If I get energetic I will respool it this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

8. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    This reel is on my Christmas list . I looked at the 220 gto and now they make a 230 gto . 220 has a retrieval speed of 4.2:1, beats my 209, with the same line capacity, stainless inner and outer frames. Sounds like a winner to me! I found it at BoatersWorld.com for 50.00!

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They are good reels, the 220's are my favorites when going after bigger catfish. They have a strong smooth drag, and they just feel "right" when cranking in a good sized fish. With the bigger spool they don't cast quite as far as my 310GTI's or my smaller Abu Garcia's, but for a reel of that size they do an excellent job. And the stainless steel side plates don't get scrathed up near as quick as the soft aluminum that a lot of manufacturers use.

10. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also have this reel on my christmas list, any more info on them i would greatly appreciate. Is the clicker on them loud, are they built as sturdy as the pic of it looks. Thanks in advance.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Josh, its a Penn. Penn=sturdy. Don't know about the clicker on this one. On my 209, you can hear it in the next county.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have 2 of the 220's and yes they are sturdy. All stainless construction and yes the clickers are Loud. Great reels!

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    some of the loudest clickers ever!!!!!!!!!!

14. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well....I put 8oz on them and tightened down the brake to cast this amount of weight, then pulled all the line offffffffffff and then respolled (yes, I meant to hit my fff alot of times has alot of line on them!):lol: They still spool to the right more than left???? Maybe when I fight that bigun it will straighten out!!:cool2: But at this rate, I'll just have to hook to a truck bumper! Thx for everyones help!

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    bought one of theise with my xmas money & when the bass pro opens in olathe Im gonna get a daiwa beefstick BF-BA701HR or BF-BA701MHR to put it on.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Got my new reel in the mail today its fn sweet! pretty and smooth with probally the loudest clickers I've heard. So far possibly the best value of a reel ive bought. Now I gotta get out there and catch some fish on it. One quick question for you GTO owners does it seem like their isnt alot of ajustment on the cast break?

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My GTO'S dont have near as much casting brake as my 209's. You need to tighten them down tight for 10 oz and above weight or you could have a real mess!!!!!:angry:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just recieved a 320LD Penn and it has a clicker as loud as my7000C3 . Appears to be well made in the good old USA.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That ain't saying a lot, my 209's are no where near as adjustable as my Abu's. I've had to relearn the meaning of thumbing the spool.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Well it sounds like thats just how the cast break is thanks for the replies.
    When you guys are spooling up your reels crooked are you holding tention on the line just above the reel to pack it on. If so your probally going to have to go back and fourth with the levelwind to get it to lay right.