penn 220 are 230gto reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cliff n york, Apr 21, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    who use,s them i want some because of the line capasity, anyone had any problems with them. cliff

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I really like mine. No problems yet and I have had mine for 5 years or so.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    FISHERMAN HEADQUARTERS HAS 15% OFF ALL PENN'S HOPE THIS HELPS:smile2:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The GTO's are good solid reels at a great price. I've got several 220's from when they first came out in 2005, and in 3 seasons of catching some nice fish and being just my general bang around reels, I've had no problems except for the decals coming off. They cast pretty well, too. If you look around you can find them for under $50.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got a couple 220gtos and they are good reels. a few have had trouble with the levelwinds but all reels do. i personally perfer pflueger contender G30 its the same size as the 220gto but its a mutch smoother reel and the cast control and drag is way better. they are the same price depending on were you go.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    heard some good and bad things about the GTO's. I personally like the GTI's they are much better reels. If you look at the reveiws from BASS PRO SHOP or CABELAS it will give you the info your looking for in much more detail.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cliff, I had 6 of the 220 gto's and I had level wind problems with them. I have since replaced ALL of them with 209's and I like these reels much better! Just my 2-cents worth. The 220's look real nice, but mine just didnt hold up to fishing on the Mississippi with big wieghts (level wind) just starts popping and gets stuck on the worm gear and dont move. I only had them for about a year.:eek:oooh:

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The 209 and 309 can sure handle the heavier weights. The level winds on these seem to be pretty stout...like the rest of the reel.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had great saltwater service out of Penn 209's and 309s for years with kids and inexperienced folk using them.I now have a American made Penn 345 GTI and I love it.I have had great service out of the Penn non level winds for over 50 years now with saltwater fishing.Now all have been American made.Non ever failed me.I maintained them as recommended.Most were stolen.I recently gave my son my last 30 year old Penn.The only parts that I ever replaced were the drags as large sharks do overheat them when they take your catch on a reel not designed to handle 500 hundred pound to a ton of shark.We always re spooled and went on fishing.This says everything for a reel.

I hate to see the shark gone.I hated it worse when they were plentiful.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.

10. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    I've used a couple of 220 gto's over the last 2 years with no problem. Except as someone has stated the decal one the top of one came off after the second use. No issues with the level wind. Cast is very smooth.

11. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have 4 220gtos and three 320 gti they all have worked fine for me.

12. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Cliff,
    I have one of each of these reels. The 220 has so far worked ok but the 230 has been a nightmare. The levelwind gets all out of alignment and causes the reel to backlash. Im in the process of sending it back for warranty credit. I will not be getting anymore of these. Ive recently bought one of the 310 GTI's and simply love it. They cost a little more but are made in the USA and are of much better quality. rspd507