Penn 209M ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by iowacatter, Aug 11, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if any of you have one or have any experiences with one. I geuss I put the cart in front of the horse and bought 1 today at Cabellas. So NOW:embarassed: , I am wondering if it is a good one. lol

I know I should have asked first but, I was on my way home from vacation, looked it over, and bought it. I loaded it with Trilene 20# Mono, and mounted it on a 7ft. Ugly Stick.

Let me know your thoughts, Thanks
    Stan

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are great reels, I have a couple of em and all I ever do to em is clean and oil them and change the line. I have 25 # big game on one and 30 # cajun red on the other on a trial basic's, the reels will work with larger line but a real fisherman don't need any thing larger if he lets the rod and the drag do there job.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Can't Tell You About A 209 But I've Got A 309 It Works Great, Salt & Fresh Water

4. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have several Penns,including a 209,and I like all of them,they are built like tanks.You can't go wrong with a Penn.JMO?

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    They are the best I have used from a boat, seriously built well, and simply. If you have to cast far or are fishing from the bank, it took me a while to get accustomed to casting with it. Give it some time and it well end up being a favorite I'm sure. The clickers on those reels have no equal!

6. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Stan,

You Did Good! :smile2:

Larry ~ polecatter

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the 209 is a friend of mine's favorite reel. He gives his equipment a workout but thoses reels of his never die.

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Your set pal ,great reels

9. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I've been really wanting to find me a little weatherproof WARN winch sticker and put on the side of my 209. I have it on a 10ft. Berkley Reflex and I bet it could sling a squirrel 75-100 yards and stop the most pissed off fish you could hook. rod and hook and line may give but not the reel.

10. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    I use a 330 penn with a eagle claw snaggin rod. The reel is a little big for bait fishing but is the best for saggin on the Mississippi.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are a powefull reel for sure, I could never get any casting distance with mine, I think they are a better boat reel, or shore fishing when you dont have to make long cast.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Stan, I know some guys that can put a five ounce weight out of sight with a 209. Unfortunately I'm not one of them lol . They are probably the most durable reel on the market and now that you have one you will get years of use out of it. With time and patience you'll be casting it like an old pro. Vern

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Burn the house, sell the farm, no more worries about your fishing rig. They don't make em any better and thats a fact! Clean em, oil em, put them right back to work. I run 40lb. Big Game on most of mine, 30lb on a couple. I can't imagine fishing with out them. You did real gooood!
    Don

14. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, all you guys for the replys.The salesman told me it is a tough reel, but we all know how that goes.:roll_eyes: I hope I can get past the backlashes,:lol: and actually hook some fish with it reel soon. Thanks Again!!

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I hear ya Don,
    I run 40# big game for cats and 80# braided dacron for spoonbill and the 209's have been a good reel for me.

16. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I think it was 74, the last paddlefish I had was caught at the "Lake of The Ozarks" right below the dam. Snagged him with the biggest treble hook with the weight made right in the umbrella of the treble. 70lbs + of all white, oh so tasty fish. I want to say it was on my 209 but can't remember. Biggest fish of my life at that time. Thanks for reminding me.
    Don

17. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own several penn's many different models the 209 is my favorite of them all.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Stan I have a 209 Penn that I bought in 1972 and I still like better than any reel I ever owned.(I fished with it for 30 years before I cleaned it)

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Stan if you take a 209 Penn apart you will find it does have a plastic gear
    in it even one that is as old as mine has it.The plastic gear is the drive for the levelwind and there is a good reasion for the plastic.In 2002 at Dardenele Lake in Ark. I was drift fishing beloiw the dam when I hungup on the rocks,my hand sliped off the rod and landed on the reel.The boat in the fast curent was stripping of line when one of my fingers landed between the side of the reel spool and the levelwind and it stopped the boat still with my finger being mashed in the reel.It make this short it striped the gears instead of taking the end of my finger off.It hurt so bad I had to get my fishing buddy to help me get my finger lose but a 209 Penn is so tough I was able to remove the levelwind and fish with the reel for 2 more days.I cleaned the reel for the frist time when I did the repairs.

20. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Penn reel and an Eagle Claw rod was my first cat/bottom fishing rod. No complaints, many large fish have surrendered to it.