PENN 209M

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catman-j, Feb 18, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    This is another reel in my storage. I bought it to go an a really long heavy action rod but soon became frustrated because it was my first baitcaster type reel and I couldn't cast it without having backlash or my cast didn't go far. Perhaps the reel was matched with the right rod but I'm not sure if I want to keep it.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a soft cotton glove to keep from burning your thumb is all you need to throw some lead far with it, to keep from birdsnesting your thumb has to be on the spool all the time.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Banking with a 09- IF yer not expierenced with baits I think your gonna not like a 09...there awsome reels but to bank fish with them you need good weight on em and be somewhat skilled in casting baitcasters...certian areas where you hang up alot you will have problems with em because the slow retrieve.....I dont want you to be discouraged because these reels are outstandin monster luggers and they are VERY good reels with some practice you'll love it... but you must learn yer reel grasshopper:wink:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If it's an older model, with the chrome over brass spool, or even the stainless steel spool, it will be a bear to cast. An aluminum spool tames the beast. Try that first. If it's still too much for you, clean the spool bushings, and lube them with something thick like 40w motor oil, or Corrosion-X, if you can find it. That'll slow 'er down.:wink:

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'm thinking that it will be a good reel for certain places where I'd be more likely to hook into something or from a boat fishing in deep water.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    They are a bit tough to cast, especially when compared to the Penns built for casting, like the Squidder. Put enough weight on and they will throw pretty well, though. They are outstanding from a boat for drifting, trolling, etc...

Your thumb is a necessary item to get these reels to behave while casting.