Penn 209M reel Disappointed !

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cat-dory, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

I thought that I would post this so everyone could read . I sold 6 old penns that I had for over 15 years. They all worked but were very scarred up and pitted.
    I went out today and bought 2 Penn 9m , 2 Penn 209m reels , brand new !
    Both 209 reels have very sloppy loose handles , and the drags feel very sticky when I was setting them , almost rythmicaly jerking when slipping.
    One of the 9m reels wont engage properly when going from freespool to start reeling in line(broken).
    I am so disapointed in Penn ! All four of them had made in china stickers.
    PENN has gone down the pike as far as Im concerned. They have sold out to cheap china manufacturing methods. Penn will become Past history.
    Last year I had 2 Captiva 6000 reels break within 48 hrs of being bought , now this........
    Old Penns rule...new pens SUCK.
    BTW...all 4 are going back tomorrow.

2. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are some of us that agree with you, see the thread I call them "The Counterfeit Penns"!

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am sure sorry to hear that,I have used my 209's for years ans all I ever did to them was change the line, clean and oil em once in a while, dam shame that use to be my faveroites. Thanks for the information.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Didn't Shakesphere buy Penn out or am I wrong on that. You ought to know that if you have something old and it still works (keep it)The new replacements hardly ever meet up to the standards of the older ones.Way back when was made out of better material.Take cars instant Now versues back in 50 and 60"s.now that was some real metal.Now you given me second thought about buying new Penns. Darn it anyway.Thanks for the heads up just the same.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I just started useing Penns. Got turned on to them by me buddy. I have not bought a new Penn yet, I just stick to the older ones. I have a 209 I got off of ebay and a 109 that was my Great Grandfathers. I will continue to use Penn but I doubt I will ever buy a new one seeing the reviews on them lately from you guys.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya Shakespeare just bought Penn, Now Penn is going to the dumps now. :lol:

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I use an old Penn 109 that I completely rebuilt, and i just bought an old Penn 180 in exclent condition at a flea market for $20. I haven't used any new ones, I'm gonna try to ware out the old ones first.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dang, I hate to hear that!:crazy: I just bought a new 209 from Bass Pro last month. So far so good. Now that you guys have mentioned, it seems to have a little more slop in the handle than my old ones, but I thought that might just be the reel. Seems to work good so far.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Y'all ought to write/construct a letter expressing your dismay and mail it to them, They'd probably want to know that they're sucking!:

PENN FISHING TACKLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
    3028 WEST HUNTING PARK AVE.
    PHILADELPHIA, PA 19132-1121, U.S.A.

PHONE: 215-229-9415

FAX: 215-223-3017

10. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I am sorely dissapointed to here that but ihave used penns years ago that were older than me at the time that would seemingly hoist a anchor . And those are the ones i trust now . Call me crazy but i would rather buy a used older penn for 40- 50 bucks before i pay the same for newer model at the same price . There was a guy on ebay not to long ago selling his newer penns for a fraction of the new price hmmm makes you wonder . Oh he had quite a few , atleast seven or so all buy it now i am old school thanks but no thanks on " The countrfiet penns" .

11. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have two old Penn's that I got at a yard Sale and love to fish with them.I think it's time for me to take them in and have them gone over.But I will never get red of them.

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have two old Penn 209's that I have had since the early 1960's and all I have ever done is replaced pawls. A couple of years ago I got 4 left hand reel 209's off ebay that were "brand new" but 40 years old. I had to pay $148 for them but since they were "new" and I like a left hand reel I got them and wouldn't take anything for them. The old Penns can't be beat!

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    thing about penn reels, they arent throw aways. Ye, id be upset havin bought a brand new one that already needed work, but thats just it, they can be rebuilt, and work better rebuilt with custom parts anyway.