Penn 209M or a 220GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I was thinking of either buying a Penn 209 or 220GTO i assume that they are both great reels because i have owned many penn senators and currenty own a 750SSM so i know they are a great reel company but which reel would you recomend? Are they as easy as most baitcastors to cast?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You wont be disapointed with the 220. I would go with it, they are about 20 some bucks higher in price though.
    I have a bunch of the 209s and they are good reels, not the best to cast long distances but great drag systems. I fish from the boat mostly so long distance casting is not a problem. I'm sure I could get more distance with lighter line but I use 40# test.

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The new Penn 220GTO reel is an awesome reel. It is a little more expensive than the 209 but the reel is a little smoother and holds more line. The clicker is really loud and has a 4.2:1 ratio.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would got with the gto also, just because it is smoother and will cast better.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While the 209 is a very good, rugged reel, the GT series are head and shoulders above it when it comes to casting.

6. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Thanks alot guys i think im gonna get the 220 cause i fish from shore and I like to have all the distance i can get when fishing. Mabey ill put it on the new Heavy action catmaxx i got. Thanks again