Penn 209M levelwind question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    How's the castability on the Penn 209M levelwind? And has anyone used on?

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    they cast very well. i have one i have used for a few years now and i really like it.

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I've used a 209 for a year or two. I think it is a workhorse. I haven't attempted to make any especially long casts but I don't see that there would be any problems if the need were there. Most of the time I use a good bit of weight and a simple lob works better than a long cast. I guess the one drawback I see with the 209 would be the low gear ratio. That may not be an issue for some people and it really isn't to me either. The only reason I even noticed it was because I fished the 209 beside two 309s and there is an obvious difference. All said, the 209 is an excellent reel with high line capacity and very strong all around. I'm sure you'd be happy with one if you decide to go that route.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    As for long range casting there are better reels.
    I have (6) 209's and have used penn reels since going to baitcasters many years ago.
    I fish from the boat usally and dont require long casts. They will cast well with the right line though. They are tough with a great drag and will bring in any cat you can hook.

5. Ohio_River_Rat

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    wow thats some quick replies. Thanks alot. They sound i think im gonna go and get one from the bass pro tommorow. Spoonfish, you mention to use the right line. What lines a good line for one, may as well pick some up while im there?

Thanks yall,
    zac

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use mine for spoonbill and catfish also. For spoonbill I use 80# braided dacron and for Catfish I use 40# trilene big cat.
    Like I said though I dont need to cast to far from the boat. If your bank fishing I would go with around 20# line if your wanting to cast long distances.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't have a 209, but I do have a 9M that I like a lot. I don't know exactly the difference between the two, but they appear very similar. I got mine as a gift several years ago, and it is really tough, with a good drag, pulls like a winch if I need it to. It has always casted very good, I don't try to estimate distance, but it would really get on out there when I need to, at least until I cleaned it recently for the first time ever, and I think I used the wrong lubricate because it is a little stiffer now than before and doesn't seem to cast quite as far. I need to find out what to use for lubricant, and redo everything.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 209 is a real workhorse that casts pretty well, but if you need maximum distance, go with the GT series.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 3 209's, use braided line. 50 or 60 yard cast are fairly easy. The retrieve is slow, a good quality dependable reel. Also easy to repair if the need arises.

10. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Zac, I use a 209 and a 309, if you're fishing from a boat, they are great reels. Go with BOC advise, these guys won't steer you wrong:thumbsup:

11. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I don't own a Penn 209 or 309 but I have rebuilt several. Like most Penn reels they appear to be well built. I guess the only thing I see about the Penn level wind is the difficulty in getting all the rods, screws, side plates, worm and so on adjusted so that the level wind does not have any tight spots or drag as it travels from side to side. I have been known to spend 30 minutes or more bending and adjusting to get the free movement I feel is necessary for a smooth casting reel.

I wouldn't be afraid to pick one up and fish it. Just remember to keep your line size within the limits the reel was designed for. As I recall, the 209 is designed for a max line size of 20 pound mono line. You can use heavier line but you give up reel performance including casting distance when you do.

12. Ohio_River_Rat

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Went into BassPro today and walked out with a 209. It feels like a great reel and looks awfully good sitting on my 10' Catmaxx and the reel only costs $50 which i think is a great price for a Penn. Thanks alot guys for all the help you gave me.

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Good deal! Now go out there and hook a hawg!!!

I think you'll like the 209. Very solid reel that will last forever with minimal maintenance. Good choice!

Good luck this season!

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been using 209 Penns for over 30 years with no problems.I only checked one time to see how far one will cast,it was spooled with 50lb mono casting a 4oz sinker on a cold 28 deg. day and it cast 75 yards which ain't bad for a 30 year old level wind reel.

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Jim 'Fireball' Faulkner! Where you been hiding Man?! Good to see you posting! When are we gonna hook up and go fishin?

16. Fishman19785014

Fishman19785014 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 209 also, and several 500's and 140's. What I found is that castability depends quite a bit on the spool construction. The metal spools (steel or chromed brass) are heavier than the aluminum spools (they are black) and when you cast and the spool is spinning it takes more thumb control to prevent backlash. I changed my metal spools on the jigmasters to aluminum and increased casting performance dramatically. Just my experience, hope it helps.