Penn 209

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 1, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i have just bought a penn 209 off of ebay for 29 dollars plus shipping (came to 35 dollars total) i just want to know if i got a good deal, and i want to know any pros and cons about this reel, it is my first baitcaster so im a little scared lol..

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 209 is a great real, a little practice in the yard to get the casting down and your in business.

3. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    not a bad deal i think bass pro sells the for 59.99 just keep it greased and oiled should last many many years of great fishing

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have a penn 209 that I have had for years.Never did really try to learn how to use until this year. really screwed up until I finally figured out that I had to use heavier weights on it. Now I love it. I use 3oz weights on mine. Soon as I get the money I'm gonna get me some more baitcasters.
    And yes I'd say you got a good deal. Just keep practicing ,you'll learn to use it and you'll love it.

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Great reel, great deal..........your gonna luv it..........

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is that a brand new one ? If so, you got a screaming deal. Even if it's not new but in good shape that is a sweet reel. I have one and I do like it.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Marshall that's a good deal cauce a new 209 Penn cost a lot more than that.I have a 209 that I've had for 35+ years and it's still the best real I ever had and I like it better than any reel I've got.A 209 is a little harder to learn to cast than some reels but they are like a winch and will reel in anything you get hooked up.Once you learn how to use it you'll love it and you'll find it'll still be catching fish when most reels would be worn out.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Man that is a good deal!

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I just recently picked up a Penn 209 at the flea market for $20. Looks to be only a couple years old. How will it handle the bigger cats over 25 lbs?

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A friend has three 209's. He's caught 60 lb gar on them with no problem. He used to fish off shore, had his own sport fishing boat, that's what he provided his clients. According to him, they have handled fish up to 200 lbs with no problems. Put that on a Tiger rod or something like the Ugly Stick 1120 big water 7' rod and you have a winner.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Great reels with a very good drag system. I can cast mine a mile, once you get use to them. Walter Yes they will handle big fish, I have caught many Big catfish with them and also use them to snag spoonbill with. My best spoonbill weighed 102 lbs. and was landed with a 209. I run 40# big game for catfish on mine and 80# braided dacron for the spoonbills.

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have 2 209's and love them so far! The brake in them is great for anti-backlash and heavy weights(6-12oz) The drag seems very good..(havent caught a Big catfish on them yet)The capacity is huge. I think you got a GREAT deal! I paid $40.00 for mine..new.:smile2:

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Well, I now have 2 209's, one from a pawn shop, almost new for $30, the other off Ebay for $17. Haven't gotten the Ebay one yet. But, I've had the other one out 3 trips now. Loaded it with 30 lb mono and it casts fine. Haven't caught anything big enough to give it a good test, but hope to go after gar over 30 lbs this spring and summer.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You got a good deal at that price. Some people has all the luck. Several of us used Penn 209 and 309 for years snagging spoonbills and never had any to break or fail us. A good solid reel at a bargin. WOW:smile2: :smile2: