Penn 209

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfisherman369, Aug 21, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Well I got my first penn reel tonight at an auction . It is in great shape and I got it for 42.50 wasnt sure if it was to much to pay or not . I am an abu garcia fan and this thing is going to look funny next to all my abu's but if it performs as good as I here they do then I will be happy . If I dont like it I will sell the darn thing . Might try it out tomorrow . Anyone got a good idea for the kind of line I should use ? I have some 30 pound big game and some 65 pound ugly braid on hand .

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I got one just lik it and have been reel satisfied, like yo I use Abu' s but the Penn 209 works really good and I use it every time I go out.
    I have 50lb. mono on it and it handle that really well, not a long distance caster like the Abu's but I mostly boat fish so that's not an issue. Clicker is really loud and it about pull in a stump, very stout reel indeed.
    I have it in a 7' Ugly Catfish rod and I am weel please with that set up, maybe a longer rod would get a little more casting distance out of it but who knows.
    Paid about the same as you off of ebay.
    I think you will be pleased with it overall! Don't forget to disengege the clicker and the cast lever bedore you try to cast it! Sale a sinker plum across the river swinging it to cast when the spool ain't in freespool.lol

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats the spool everyone says is the spool to have. mines the plane crome 1pc. but whoever had it before me put carbon fiber washers in it:cool2: if ya want another one i could probally let mine go for that price:wink::wink:

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Im an ABU guy as well,but Penn 209 and 309 reels are workhorses.Not a problem there,you did good.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    309 WILL EB THE NEXT REEL I BUY

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a 209 and I really like it. Casts great for me. I do have a little more issues with backlashes but I have not used it that much. Plus if you get stuck you could use it to winch out your truck.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Got one and love it. Can actually cast it better/further than my 6500C. I have it spooled with 40LB Big Game attached to the 7" Tiger Rod.

8. bigm catfish

bigm catfish New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    the 209 is a good reel but to me it just is to big i have one and dont use it because of that.but i can tell you it is like a winch you should not have any problems reeling in any fish you catch or the ocassional log.the line i would use is the mono the braid might go down and cause a mess.:wink:

9. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I just ordered one and can't wait for it to get here!

10. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I have two Penn 209 reels. I spool one with 30lb mono and one with 40lb. The one with the 40lb line will really zing it out there. The brake is a little touchy but they cast good. As mentioned before, the drag needs an upgrade. Both of my reels, from day one, had drag issues. It is either to tight or too loose with no middle ground. The carbon matrix drag washers would be a big improvement. Another thing you need to be prepared for, is that compared to an Abu, the 209 is low geared. And yes, it is a winch. The weak link on the newer 209M is the plastic idler gear that drives the level wind. I've had to replace mine after one year of heavy use. Overall, I like the 209 and I'll definitely add a couple more to my collection.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    While we're on the subject of drag washers, what is the preferred washer of choice these days? Smoothies, Carbon fiber, something else? Where is the best place to buy them?

I have 5, 209s, a Jigmaster 500, and a 920. the only one I don't use is the 500, and that's only because it doesn't have level wind. I have several Abus also, and I don't really prefer one over the other, but I do think that the Penns take more abuse, and still keep working.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    carbontex by smoooooth drag .com give or take an oooo i think its 4 o's they have some dirt cheep smoothies for the 209 that are like the name smooothe. but i believe the carbontex to be more durable and a tad smoother

13. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have a penn 209 i got on ebay for $12 never used,its spooled with 30# berkley big cat mono,i have it on a 6' solid glass st.croix.im pretty sure i could cast it a mile,also i could prolly pull in a semi with it,ok might be exagerating a little,i have pulled in several large logs that i couldnt pick up and never any problems with the reel.best $12 i ever spent

14. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    The 209 is a great heavy duty reel Of the line You have on hand I like the 65 Lb braid best for this reel put a little Big Game Mono underneath it as a filler and to make the braid work better The only problem you may incure with this reel is the retrieve is a bit slower than you may be used to so you will have to reel a little faster :smile2:

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

12$$$:crazy::crazy::crazy: AAWWSSOOMMEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

16. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    i have a penn no.9 , two penn 209's, a 309, and a penn surfmaster. they used to be my grandpas and when he died he left em to me. you wont find me on the water without my penn reels. brass gears and low geared winching power. these reels cant be beat. i spool mine with 50 pound Andes mono. these reels take a licking and keep on ticking. i have two on quantum big cats, and one on a berkley big game rod, and one on a shakespeare tiger, the 309 isnt on a rod yet. but they cast great and are tuff as hell

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELL.......SINCE THERE PRETTY CHEAP ON EBAY AND KNOWING THAT THE OLDER THEY ARE THE BETTER THEY WERE BUILT ITS ALMOST A WIN WIN SITUATION:smile2:

I HAVE A PENN 109 THAT MY GGP HAD WHEN HE FISHED BACK IN THE DAY, HE WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT CARED MORE ABOUT HIS HUNTING & FISHING STUFF THEN HE DID HIS OWN GRANDCHILDRED :smile2::smile2::smile2:(SAD PART IS, HE DID):confused2:

I THINK IM GOING TO SNATCH ME UP A 209 2NITE OFF EBAY:big_smile_2:

18. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Wow, that's an awesome deal. Once I get over my last purchase, I'm gonna try to get one for around that price. Even if it's used, for around $20 it's hard to lose.

19. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i prefer using mono on them the braid burns a little to much when casting lol

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I luv my penns -have 109-209 & 309 plus 330 & 320 gti....couple utters..(LOL)...being a abu fan ya might not like em but fer me there is no other reel & once upon a time they were actualley made in U.S.A.(LOL)