penn 209 question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinfreak19D, Jun 22, 2009.

1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    im lookin for a reel to pair up on an ugly stick tiger, i was lookin at the penn 209, the abu went out of the question for right now. was just wondering how well they cast, it didnt seem like a long caster, if not can anyone tell me a reel that would be good that has a good clicker that wont break the bank,,, thanks in advance

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    The penn series of reels is not typically designed to cast. Period. I run a pair of 309's the bigger version of 209 and after 2 years of tinkering with the drags I can MAYBE cast 75 yards.

For just a couple of dollars more you can pick up a garcia 6500. That is what I run as my primary reels. Cast a country mile and last a lifetime. New price right around 65.00, used on ebay or pawn shops 30-50 but well worth it.

Just my thoughts. I know you were looking at 7000's but the 6500 does it all but has a little less line capacity, still holds plenty, my avatar was caught on 6500 w/ 25lbs test, that same night I got 3 fish over 25lbs...

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i got a penn 320 gt2 i got it for 99$ new i have only used it one time and i loved the feel of it although the brake on it is taking some getting use to, but it cast really good. i went el cheapo a couple years ago and got a tidewater 30 for about 40$ and it will cast a country mile and for the $ i cant complain:big_smile: hope this helps out brother

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Get the Penn....It takes longer to figure out the casting but better reel IMO.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I run mostly all Penns .I have a 320 gti on a tiger & its a very nice set up.it cast good and is just flat out a nice reel..The 09's are great boat reels but if yer wanting distance I'd not get a 209

6. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    That's an understatement, brother. There are plenty of guys that can cast Penn 209s...and some can do it very well. Personally, I found they would not cast much over 5-feet with 2oz or less on the end of the line. Sometimes I got to about 15 feet with more weight. :smile2:

There are two versions of the Penn 209. The older ones have steel spools, the newer ones have aluminum spools. The steel spools are heavy, and therefore it's hard to get them started rotating. On the flip side, once they are spinning, they take awhile to stop spinning because of the momentum the heavy spool creates. If you want a 209 for casting, do yourself a favor and look for one with an aluminum spool (the Al spools will be black, the steel ones silver). Again, with practice you can learn to cast either one pretty well, but 209s will not be distance reels for most guys. They are great for accuracy casting with practice, though. And one of the better drags on the market, probably the best in its price point.

7. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have an old penn 209 that I got off of E-bay. It has the old chrome spool and was very difficult to cast. It takes what the surf casters call an "educated thumb" I think for the $20 I paid for it, it is hands down the best. I think if you spend a little bit more money, you get a rod that casts better, but for the price, you cannot beat an old Penn reel.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have some Penn 9m's, 209's, and up to 320gt2's, and I love to cast them, especially the 9 and 209 models. They will throw a bait 50-75 yards very easily with a 2-3 oz. sinker. I use power pro line on all of mine; maybe that helps with the casting. I've never tried for max distance. Long is relative to what one needs, I suppose, but for me they cast plenty far. I also use abu 6500's and they don't cast any farther than the Penns, at least for me.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I use penn 209's for snagging and for catfishing and with 4 oz's i can cast the heck out of them on a 10 ft heavy action pole.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what exactly are you wanting to spend? and what do you want out of this reel? the best holding clickers ive found are on the penns and the larger abus. the rest ive tried are weak but make enough noise. for around $25 you can find an okuma classic 300L that will do all for the least $. for $79 or less if you look hard enough a pflueger contender G30 is IMO Bad A. and compairs in smoothness and castability with abu with a penn price. or like was said for $99 you can get with a penn 320gt2 that has the penn quality clicker with better manners than a 209. more detailed ?'s will get better answers:wink:

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I have both the 209 and the 320GTI and love them both but i would have to say my preferance would have to be my 320 for levelwinds but for all out guts and glory and distance i personally would have to go non levelwind and my jigmaster 500 . But again practice practice and more practice was needed at least for me .

12. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    The jigmaster is truly a great casting reel if you can get by without the levelwind as is the squidder if you can find one. As was stated, casting is relative. If your in a boat most times distance isn't that critical but if you mostly fish from shore then it's another matter. It's all about what fits your needs the best but either way in my opinion you can't beat a Penn. Tight lines.

:cool2:

13. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own many Penn's some cast many miles some not a mile but I have to say I have caught many fish close in than way out sometimes a long cast is not the answer to catch fish.

14. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I also own one of those beauties strange somehow it totally slipped my mind . Another great casting reel , and oh did i mention practice practice and practice some more .

15. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The 209 is a bit tough to cast in large part because of the level wind mechanism. If you gotta have a level wind, it will cut your distance. Others have mentioned the Squidder and the Jigmaster, both great casting reels and built like a tank, as is the 209. I have heard of folks removing the levelwind from 209's and 309's and having better luck with casting. 209's can be had usually in the 20-35.00 range on ebay, in great condition. For the cost, try removing the levelwind and see how it goes. Once your thumb get used to casting these reels, casting should improve as well. You will never be overmatched by a fresh water fish with a 209, though......