penn 209 peer?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dlongmo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I came across a penn 209 in great shape. Its a usa reel and I believe it has an aluminum spool. Anyone use these or know anything about them?

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I use the bigger one the 309 and i love them they are the same thing as the 209 but the size..I know many people on here use penn 209's and 309's!!It is a great reel...how much are they asking?

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    209 penn reels are pretty sweet . You should be real happy with it . I am more of an abu kind of fella but if there is a great deal on a reel of any brand I will pick it up quick . If for asome reason you dont like it I am sure someone will give you your money back on it .

4. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I gave 10 bucks for it. I thought it looked like a good reel and it is in great shape.

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a 209 on my 11ft' heavy. I really like it. Its not as pretty as an abu but its tough. Its a monster of a reel. Compared to a 6500 it looks like a winch for a truck. It will hold a mile of line and casts pretty smooth. I only gave 30 for mine. I was a great deal.

6. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am not familiar with them at all but it looked well built and I needed another reel. I have a new 7000 and love it and this 209 looks well built. I figured some of you guys would know.:0a18:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Danny congrats on a great find. A great bargin. You will like it, and it will do the job.

8. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

You got a reel deal! Made in the USA an everything. Will crank in bout whatever you latch onto. Take good care of it and it'll last forever. I fish with all Penns of various sizes.

9. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Great find, you can always get parts for the Penn reels should you need to upgrade or fix it and you can bring any cat with it.

10. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    It does seem to have a heavy spool. Does the heavy line help with the back lashing?

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have a couple that I have used for catfishing and snagging. I have them spooled up with 100lb power pro and can cast a 4 ounce weight about a mile and winch in 70lb paddle fish all day long.

12. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    That sounds good too me. Do you have any backlash problems?

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Danny, will backlash as will, all of them
    Learn to use your thumb, more, Will be some difference from it and 7000,your thumb is the brake.
    Its a work horse of a reel, more thumb and pratice.
    Jim

14. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use my thumb on my 7000 also not the break, so it shouldnt be to hard to get use too.