penn 209 levelwind

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jboy434, Nov 3, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    what do you guys think of these reels? I got one today but i have never used a penn before. How can i tell how old the reel is?

thanks

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jeremy I just sold all my abu 6000's to replace with Penn 209's and 9's. Nothing wrong with the 6000's, they just don't have the gearing a Penn has. I know someone who you can get a hold of if you have any questions on the older Penn reels. Try doing a search of Chef Jim Penn reels, great guy to talk to. And he's been rebuilding Penn's since 1960.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jeremy I have a 209 I bought when I was 18 and I'm 55 now and it's still the best reel I ever ownd.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Casting distance leaves a little to be desired. But over all you can't go wrong with a 209. They are great for battling with big fish. And will hold up for many years.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I own a lefthanded 209. It is a great saltwater reel. :wink:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not the best reel for casting long distances, but other than that, it's a great reel for not much money. One of the best values you'll find. If you need long distance casting, move up to the 320GTi or GT2.

7. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    Thanks for all the replies. I got the reel for free so it was a great price. It had been sitting outside for a while. I will have to take it apart and clean it good.Any recommendations on a good rod for this reel that wont break the bank.

thanks

8. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i think you will really like the 209, dont know how much you want to spend on a rod. i have a 209 on one of catfish safari lake rod. it really works well, plus it will last for many yrs.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You have several options on rods, depending on your budget! To start off you could get a Shakespeare ugly stik cat series (white rods at Walmart) very good rod for the money aprox 35.00. Next bump up to the shakespeare Tiger rod (burnt orange color) GREAT rods aprox 55.00 at catfish connection. Next Surge rods (elite with metal saltwater reel seats) 85.00 at catfish connection. That is a basic list to give you some rods to consider! I have Penn 209's on all those rods and they each have a purpose!:big_smile:Hope this helps in your decision!

10. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    Again thanks for the replies. I have one of 8ft mh Ugly Stick catfish rods i have nothing on. I also have a lot of the 7ft zebco catfish stiks. I have several 6500's i have been using with some of these reels. I was thinking i might need something a little bit bigger for the 209.

11. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I bought a 310 and a 320 GTI and they are simply awesome. I could cast prolly close to 200' with just a couple of ounces of lead on 50lb braided line. Especially the 310.

12. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington