Penn 209 Level wind is stuck.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by spoonfish, May 27, 2007.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a 209 that the level wind is stuck over to the right side of the reel. Spool still works fine and dont hear any gears broken when reeling. Never took one apart. Any ideas on what I will need to do to fix it and what I will need to take apart to see if something is broken?

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Try replacing the pawl.

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    If a guys gonna use penns then I believe its in thier best interest to learn to take them apart. Not hard to do-very simple. Use a white towel so you dont loose any parts.

Most likely cause is worm (worn spot) ,pawl or white plastic gear (teeth broken) inside left cover plate.
    Inspect all very closely.
    If you just replace pawl w/out checking other parts, then you could be in for bigger repair. Worse yet is to break while fighting a fish.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    They are so easy to disassemble. I opened mine up to look around. As long as you do not take the 4 scres closest to the base of the handle out, It will be very easy to put back together.

Get the parts sheet and learn them, they are a very simple reel with less than 4 main sub-pieces.

CP

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have 6 of them and have used them for years. Only had 1 in the past that needed repair and had a tackle shop here fix it. I will tear this one down so I know how to repair them. Thanks for all the help guys!

6. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do encourage you to tear one down and learn the in's and out's: they're a breeze to take apart and maintain oneself, once you've done it. But here's a quick check of the worm/pawl. I had one I bought used with the same problem, and it turned out to be a) dirt/sand in the worm and b) rust on the pawl inside the cup that holds the pawl. You can remove the worm/pawl/line guide without dissassembling the whole reel. Remove the worm screw on the right side of the reel. Once removed, the worm with line guide can slide out the right side (may have to angle it this way and that ) A quick clean without removing the pawl would be to simply spray the worm and all with WD-40 and use an old tooth brush to make sure no dirt/sand/old oil remain. Visually inspect the worm for cuts grooves that shouldn't be there (I had one that the right side looked like the pawl was trying to blaze a new path. Allow to air dry, then oil it. Holding the line guide, rotate the worm in your hand and see if you feel any binding. If it still feels tight, you can, while it's out of the reel, remove the pawl. On the underside of the lineguide there's a screw. Remove the screw, and the pawl can be removed. Make sure the screw (pawl retainer) is clean inside (wd-40, then oil. Check the pawl to make sure its free of gunk, especially on the tooth (top) and the oil ring around its center. To reassemble, if line guide was removed from the worm, make sure the square end is to the left. Then place pawl in line guide. Before putting retaining screw back on, rotate the worm to make sure the pawl has seated in the worm properly. If the line guide starts moving as you turn the pawl, you're good. Shoot some oil on the bottom of the pawl, then replace the pawl retaining screw, making sure the pawl has not come unseated. Replacing the unit, slide it in, making sure the line guide is in the slotted post. Before replacing the worm screw, make sure the worm/line guide is all the way in, and rotate the handle. Helps to hold finger pressure on the lineguide until it slides completely in the worm gear, which is in the left sideplate. If the line guide moves with the turning of the handle, you know you're in. When replacing the worm screw, do so slowly, making sure the worm is sliding inside the worm screw. Occasionally turn the handle to make sure the line guide is still turning easy. If this doesn't fix it, probably is the idler gear inside the left side plate, which would require removal of that sideplate.
    Hope this helps. I'll send a schematic for the reel, plus a "how to" provided by a kind member on here that helped me get started.

Dave
    Ok, I could upload neither. One too big, one "invalid type". Here's the link to the site with penn schematics: http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Reel-Specifications-W32C1.aspx

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    With the reel turned until you can see the worm shaft crank it and see if it is turning. If the worm shaft dose not turn it is the gear.If shaft turns OK then it is the pawl.Most 209's come with a spare pawl under a screw on the left sideplate.
    Jake

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That is probably the biggest problem with a bait caster. Most of the times it could have been avoided a few more years by simply oiling the worm gear and pawl once or twice a year. Thankfully, it is not a difficult problem to correct and as mentioned above, a simple thing to do. Guess some will take issue with me and say the bird nest's are the biggest problem...but that generally is a problem with the operator, not the reel. LOL

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I Agree Awshucks, regular cleaning/oiling is best way to avoid repairs. Must be what you are doing spoonfish for them all to last you so well:smile2:.

Biggest cause of breakdown with these reels is sand in worm for me.
    Its predictable that if sand bars are showing and I get in/out of boat and drag sand in then it blows into reel and I get breakdowns. Sometimes I forget or get lazy.

Had 2-penns break within same evening this spring and remembered "forgot to blow em out and re-oil" last time:crazy:.
    Had to remove the levelwinds and use them fingering line on spool that night.

Rivers been high and havent seen a sandbar in many weeks so reels are staying clean longer.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Still have a few origional boxs the 209s came in and had the schematics in them. Thanks!
    Took the worm and pawl out and the pawl is broken. Easy fix just need to get a new one, think I will get a couple extras to have around.
    Looked at my other reels and couldnt find extra pawls, not sure if the 209s came with them or Im just missing it some how.
    Thanks for all the replys!

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Check the pawl for the levelwind.