Penn 209 - is there a mag clutch on these Fishing Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bluecatnut, Mar 18, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i just bought a penn 209 and lined it up w/25lb line and when i casted it it was really stiff is thier a mag clutch on these things or what any help would be great thanks

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    You may want to try loosening the line tension (little round knob usually by the drag) up a little, since that might be part of it. It puts pressure on the spool which slows it down if you try to cast it.

:0a26:

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the brake on a 209 is on the opposite side of the handle. just adjust it to whatever weight you are casting. some people say they cant cast em very well but i have never had that prob.

4. Weisscat

Weisscat New Member

State:
    Weiss Lake Alabama
    Yup, exactly... Never set too tight tho becuase it binds the whole mechanism. Mine is just tight enough not to fall off and I have a huge callus on my thumb for spool control.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I got a 209 just a while back i had heck with being able to cast it out without backlashing at first. now i can cast it out further than most of my other reels

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bluecatnut, loosen the spool tension and thumb, thumb, thumb and you can throw that 209 a mile. Vern

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have a 209 a bud gave me, needs a couple of parts, but sent Gator an email about it. Haven't gotten to use it as of yet. Have a Penn 9 also that I lined with 18lb Mason Tan Braid, on a 6 foot Ugly med action, fantastic combo, casts really nice. I think I am going to try it on a 7 1/2 foot med action rod and see how I like that combo. Can't hardly wait to get the 209 going and try it out. If it's as good, then I may have to do a retake on my reels as to which one I prefer, although I like them all.