Penn 209 help me out.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PeZ, Feb 23, 2007.

1. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just ordered a Penn 209 and I will match it with a Tiger rod what upgrades are there for this reel and what do you recomend upgrading if anything all thoughts would be welcome.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    80lb Power Pro and maybe a live bream.LOL I have several of these reels and they have yet to let me down and I have caught some 40+lb flatties on them. I am rough on fishing tackle and they have held up without so much as needing 1 part for 3 years. Good luck with it.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't know if there are any upgrades. The 209 is known as a great basic reel, charter boat captains usually have one or two on hand as its difficult to hurt it and its great for reeling in some big ones. I've two of them and like them, especially for bank fishing rivers. They're on the heavy side and aren't the best casting reel around, but they get the job done with no fuss. The retrieve is slow when you don't have a fish on, but when you do catch one, its like you've got a block and tackle in your hands, ain't many catfish that can resist the reel.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have 3 209 and 1 number 9.these are 30 and 40 yrs.old.biggest cat about 40 lbs.but i have caught sharks in the 8 foot range no problem.good reels.

5. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    No need to upgrade just slap some line on and practice a while. Once u get used to it u will love it.

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    as others have mentioned just put some good heavy line on it and your set.i have an old penn 309 that i have had for a while,but i have never fished with it before.and i also own a penn 9,that is close to thirty years old,still going strong and the onley thing i had to replace on it was a worm gear.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    No upgrades needed, just clean them once in a while and oil them once a year or so and keep good line on em and you have a great winch to pull out the big ones.I have a couple I've had for years an never had any problems.

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the replys guys it should be in on wendsday I cant wait.

9. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey pez, one thing is they dont hardly break and the only upgrade is teflon drag washers that you might want to replace, in about 5 or 10 years. oh yea on another fishing site, ********** there is a guy that fixes penns cheap for members his name is chef jim, he also sells cheap reels that he has repaired all penns.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I Ditto this post.Just go catch a fish. You will be happy with your choice.:wink: