penn 209 gear ratio

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cliff n york, Jan 2, 2009.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    can the 209s gear ratio of 3:1 be changed to some thing a little faster:eek:oooh:

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    not sure about any modifications but the 210s are 4.2;1 a little better than 3;1, got one off ebay for 22$:smile2:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You stole my post lol. I was just thinking the same thing last night when i seen the carbontex drag upgrade. ill look around.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well no luck yet :sad2: i e-mailed a penn specilaty company, that had gear swaps for penn gs reels, to see what they had to say and ill let you know what they had to say when i hear from them.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well i got a quick responce witch is good buisness but bad news.
    "Hi Brandon, Penn doesn't make any high speed gears for the 209 reel.I'm not even sure where to point you, I don't remember seeing any custom work for this model." :sad2:

6. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Faster gears in a 209 sounds like you are looking for the 210. 4:1 gears with a bigger drag and handle than the 209 with the same size frame.

7. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks guys it looks like i will get some penn 210,s

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello i own a couple of each of those reels the 209 is a thing of beaty for its intended use winching and it does it quite well . Here in the north east we use them i use my 210 for salmon fishing fast reel with enough capacity but its no 209 , but i quess it all boil down to your preference and what you're comfortable with and thats all that matters at the end of the day . Good Luck