Penn 109 question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slimepig, Mar 21, 2008.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    whats the correct way to tye line on the penn 109? on the spool is a lil knob that sticks up. I just got through dissasembling the penn, cleaned, and put in new drag washers, and it is smooth as silk. so I want to spool it up right. also, the new line should come off the top of the supply spool, correct?

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lol, nevermind the 1st question i did it right i hope. If i get a fish that takes 300 yards of line off my drag, he deserves to not be caught anyway, lol.

on the same 109, do you set the worm screw the same as the you do the spool screw?

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Daniel, not sure what you mean about "setting the worm screw?". As for the spool spool, just tighten it enough where you'll have a little (very little) sideways movement of the spool if you hold it and slide it back and forth.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    on the same side plate(clicker side), they are actually called bearings. one is for the spool, other is for the worm. the worm bearing doesnt tighten as much as the spool does, but i think itll be good enough. BTW, I think this is a 109m. it says 109, but the inside parts are 109m. bought it off ebay, so theres no tellin, lol.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have an older 10Mag, which is just a pimped out 9. The levelwind is the reel's weak point...if you can train your left thumb to guide the line onto the spool, losing that levelwind will be the best thing you can do for that reel.

All you have to do is remove the lineguide itself, and the idler gear on the left endplate.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I fish 209's and 309's and I am just the opposite... I like the levelwind on these reels. I also have a Jigmaster and I need to remember to thumb the line which is a bit of a pain. Anyway, you asked how to tie the line, not about the reel, and I know there is a way to use that knob, but I don't know what it is.

I use PowerPro and simply tie an Aubrey knot to start the spooling... You could probably get away with a simple clinch knot if you are using mono...

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    That's why I carry extra idler gears in my tackle box. I can change one in a couple of minutes on the river.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I not only carry extra idler gears, each reel also has an extra pawl holder, which on occassion I've had to change. When reeling and all of a sudden you can't till you back of a little that's usually the problem.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    that little knob is for the line.you tie it with a slip knot.when penns first come out they were mostly for salt water and if you caught a fish so big it took all your line the line would slip off the knob without doing damage to the spool.