Penn 10

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mtrimble, May 26, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just bought two never used Penn 10's from a pawn shop. What can anyone tell me about these reels? Im not very familiar with Penn reels so any info whatsoever will be appreciated.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Want to part with one?? They are great little reels

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    From the looks of them they look like they hold about as much line as a abu 6500. Went out and gave it a few casts today. I actually thought it casted better than my Abu. I did have to use a bit more thumb finesse however.

Gator. Im not real keen on parting with them. Im keeping one and the other is already spoken for. I bought them at a local pawn shop both mounted on ugly stick tigers. Both never used. Paid a hundred for the whole batch. Already sold half to a friend of mine.

Anyway, what do these reels retail for in mint condition. Also, what is the little nut cap that is in the same spot as the brake on an Abu? I noticed there is a tiny lever that can be flipped near the bottom of the reel that allows the spool to turn both directions while keeping the handle engaged to the spool. I thought that was an interesting feature, one not present on my Abu. Is that for controlling fish that are running hard or something? Basically, Im interested in what all the knobs and what-not are for. I especially want to know what features it has that the Abu 6500 does not. I dont want to misuse this reel so I thought Id seek as much advise as I can from the wise men on this forum.