Pendog Vs Salmonid, Round 2

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me and Pendog are headed out again to the GMR this afternoon under exactly the same conditions we had 3 weeks ago, on the end of a 3 day warming trend, water in perfect shape, nice and green and clear. Temps are on the rise since Monday morning when it was 38 degrees, (water temp) now it looks like it will make it to almost 45 by late this afternoon. Will be fishing some slack water in Dayton area from about 4:30-6:30 to see if we can find any this time. Last time we both got skunked, but again,we are fishing a few hours before a big major cold front is blowing through so it will be interesting to see if anything happens. Dinkbuster may join us ( he will be the official for our rematch) and hopefully he can bring some good luck with him because it appears, neither Nate or myself have anything going for us....:rolleyes:
    More later....stay tuned...
    Salmonid

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and my brother are going out after work too. We'll be out from 5:15 to 6:30 or so.

I have yet to catch a channel this year in a couple trips. I went out yesterday though and caught some nice smallmouth. I think that would be my best advice for you, bring your bass pole.

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well Mark while leaving work it feels as though the temp. is falling as the winds pick up,still feels good you can tell the temp is falling,good luck wish i could tag along but i cant.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I feel like im going to get skunked but for the heck of it. Mark :0a37:

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not feeling too confident either pendog. I don't really care if I don't catch anything, I just like to get out. I'm sure if I don't find the catfish that I can find some smallmouth.

Are you guys fishing south of Dayton? I'll be a little north. I'm fishing a 16 to 17 foot hole that runs around Wagner Ford road. We are also a little short in the bait category. We just have a few dozen 2 and 3 inch shiners we bought at Gander Mountain. Not my favorite bait in the world, but it's all we got.

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't wait to hear how this goes.:p :)

7. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didn't even get a bite today. My brother had two bites and missed both fish. One grabbed his bait and started running with it and he still missed. It probably wasn't a catfish though, I doubt if they would be running with bait in this cold of water.

I'm interested to know how you guys did.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    well i lost, i was the years first net boy. Mark ended up landing a 6.5 pound channel. Great fish, i missed my only bite at the end before we left.

Attached Files:

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Uhh Guys, we've had 20 MPH wind gusts all day, there is a severe weather advisory out for tonight with winds ranging from 50-60 MPH. The weather was 63 today, then a low twomorrow of 7! I dont think youd catch even ME out there right now! I wonder just how good the fishing would be anywhere w/ a possible 56 degree temp jump like this. Please let us know how it went.

PS- I see Nates on line now.... no post so can I assume the fishign was poor? :p

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I guess I see that the digital scales must be much nicer when I am not there. ;)

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah bryan it was really windy, we spent too much time fishing in the wrong area. By the time we moved spots we only had a half hour to fish and Mark landed that nice channel cat

12. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    at least you guys got in one.

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Hey Phil shoot me a pm, im interested to see where you were fishing. and i'll tell you where we were at

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well Bryan, it was actually very pleasant out, not that windy at all and the warm temps made for a great couple of hours. It never even rained! Tomorrow will be a different story but we spread out and Dinkbuster showed up and finally got all 3 of our good runs on the upstream side of a deep hole, Not a lot of action but 3 definate good solid runs, Nate missed his and I missed another one. All hits came on small cut skipjacks. I figure we will get out again in another 2-3 weeks for round 3!! Until then....
    Bryan, I caught it in the spot I got my first flattie with you.

Salmonid

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    next time i wont be so lazy:D

16. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dink, come on, fishing with 1 hand has to be rough but you were giving it your all, I think you were my good luck charm as the last time out and you were there also, I got a simillar sized saugeye:)

Salmonid

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i cant figure it out Mark, I skunk you at your fishing spots. And you skunk me at mine

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that fish sure looks smaller in the picture! looks more like 3# instead of 7#. guys i came home and scrubbed my hands really good, still smells like fish! those skips really have some funk!

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah i noticed, maybe Mark's scale is whack. No just kidding that was a really nice fish. The picture doesnt do it any justice

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, I agree it looks like a 3# channel. Nate, I'll teach you how to take some good pics this year.