PEN GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, May 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I GOT A BIG PENN GTO AND I TRIED USING BRAIDED LINE ON IT BUT IT WONT CAST AND IT BACKLASHES IS THAT A NORMAL THING WITH THEM, BUT WITH 30 POUND MONO I CAN CAST OUT 20 YARDS, MAX, BUT WEN A FISH IS ON ITS A WINCH THEY DONT STAND A CHANCE

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have a 320 GTI, and it has to have the drag almost completely off to cast, as far as backlash that may just just be getting the timing down

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Are you loosening the little knob under the star drag....that is the spool tensioner that effects the clicker and not the drag.. You "do not" have to touch the star drag to cast.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YUP:big_smile_2:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've found that with the penn gto reels they are a lil bit harder to throw then your garcia 6500 or 7000......if i adjust mine just to where the bait has a bit of tension to where it falls slowly to the ground while in free spool then it's perfect for me.......if it falls to the ground quickly then it will overun on me and backlash everytime i try to throw it...........but if adjusted correctly i can throw them just as far as a garcia caster......

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    PENN baitcasters are the most difficult reels to cast... They are not for beginners that's for sure. That being said I "use to" tighten the spool down so it would fall slowly to the ground but I now leave her as loose as can be....In time you will have a "PENN TRAINED" thumb, it may take a couple years but you will get there!:wink: Annd boy is it worth it! If you can cast a Penn 50+ yards you are a Penn master! I have been using them for around four years and I am pushing if not surpassing 80+ yards without backlash. It takes some time.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to agree with Steve.....yer not gonna get it given to ya but some pratice and determination you'll get er down..theyre good reels bout all I use too.

8. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a Penn 320 Gto. It might be the rod you have it on. I have mine on a 8ft night stick pro. I tried the same reel on a 6 1/2Ft rod and a 7ft. It would not cast for nothing. I put it on a 8ft rod and with a 2 or 3 ounce sinker it will cast a mile. The penn gto is not a abu garcia 6500 but it will haul in a fish better than any abu I have. The abu's just cast better.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    how much weight are ya casting? you may not have enough weight to cast good.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fished with a PEnn 320gti for years.It wasn,t the smoothest or farthest casting reel I had,but it was a good reliable machine for winching them in.I agree with a lot of the others-keep the tension on the spool to a minimum.Your thumb will get used to that reel.You can always keep it a little higher in the beginning and then decrease it as you get used to thumbing it.If your trying to get maximum casting distance out of any reel,you,re gonna have to loosen it up.Seems to make it a little easier when your starting to go a little heavier on your weight.