Pellets or loose powder

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 1sporticus, Jan 2, 2008.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got a CVA 50 Cal blackpowder gun for Christmas. What is the best to load this with? One guy said to get the pellets, another said he likes the loose better. Whats the straight scoop. Later Andy

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy pm reload223 Id put my money on him knowing what he is talking about,sure there are alot of other fellas but Ive a feeling bout richard

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andy,I dont own a muzzle loader ,but My son bought one this fall at a silent auction. We are going to start shooting it soon with triple seven pellets ,just because of the convienence. I'll let yall know how it goes ,gonna have to get a bit warmer first tho.

4. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Andy,
    I like the pellets far better than the loose. My rifle seems to shoot two pellets better than it does with three. I like the speed of reloads as well as, the convenience of pellets. Just a thought, loose powder tends to be more affected by moisture than do pellets. Remember, put the beveled side of the pellet in the bore first! Triple seven works well for me-not nearly as much fouling as with fffg. Hope this helps,
    Bigwhiskers

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Andy I've been shooting blackpowder guns of all kinds for 40 years from 22cal to 6ga and one thing I've found out for sure is what one gun likes another might not.My inline 50 cal works great with pellets but my 35 year old 45 cal CVA Kentucky rifle likes loose 3F blackpowder.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Jim, When I was looking, I found a pack of 50/50, and also a pack of 50/30 Do you have any experience with anything like this? Later Andy

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your going to get a lot of opinions on this. If you are going to hunt I think the pellets will be more covenient. However if you are paper punching or in competition I would go with the powder (3F). You can get a more accurate load when you measure it yourself. You will need to purchase more tools to measure, cut and etc, if you use the powder. I hope this helps.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer the triple 7 in the powder over the pellets.Like noted above my T/C shoots more accurate with the powder,but all Guns dont shoot the same.Id try both and see which works the best.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've owned several muzzle-loaders. I currently shoot an in-line. It shoots best with the pellets. I use 2 -50 grain pellets. Some of the guns I had in the past shot better with the powder. I think you must decide for yourself wich shoots best in your gun. Good-shooting!:eek:oooh:

10. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You will just have to try different loads to see what works best. I use Pyrodex loose powder in my Remington 700 muzzleloader because I sighted mine in at 100 yd's shooting 90 grains of powder and a 303 grain jacketed hollow point sabot also made by Remington. If I increase the powder charge by even 10 grains my gun becomes very inaccurate with this powder/bullet combo. I am going to have to try to come up with something different in the next season or two because I am almost out of the sabots and can't seem to find anymore, also my gun is not designed to fire the "magnum" charges of up to 150 grains of powder with the 209 primers that some of the newer ones of capable of shooting.

11. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    I shoot and hunt with a ML, and I would suggest using the loose powder, do having the ability to "Work Up" your load. Be prepared for alot of hours on the range. I shoot atleast 400 round ball / patch combinations each year, especially before hunting season. I personally do not like the pellets, but to each their own.

Thanks for listening and good shooting..

12. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    My 2 cents:
    I am no expert, BUT... There are several, if not many variables here:
    1. Inline, or Cap/Ball, or flint?

Inlines were designed for Pellet form powder, cap/ball(RB: Round Ball) or flint guns: lose powder Lose powder being a Substitute type(Pyrodex), or actual "Blackpowder" (GOEX).

2. Depends on what you weapon of choice shoots the best:
    My GPR 54cal, like 90gr lose powder, with a .530 RB, and .018 "Ticking Patch with lehigh lube. AND .535 RB with .010 cotton patch(white) with Lehigh.

3. Inlines can shoot upto 150 gr, pellet form, where as most "Traditional" style ML (Muzzleloaders) are only safe with say NO MORE THAN: 110gr powder. So you must chose what works for you.

4. MY .54cal GPR can and does outshoot alot of inline guns.The exception is Inlines with Scopes, I cannot compete with those, unless they go Iron Sights. I can put 5 RB into a 4inch circle,at 100 yds, on a good day of shooting. May not sound very good to some, but I think it is good to go. (Using the "stock" Buckhorn / blade sight) I recently changed out my sights to the Lyman "Hunter Sights (Bead and adjustable rear Flip Sight) and have been able to do the same, and better.

Try different things, powders, bullets, roundball/patch combinations, and different times on the year, and different times of the day, alot of variables with Blackpowder shooting / hunting.

If you want some other good resources try the following:

www.muzzleloadingforum.com

(Not putting anyones advices down) just trying to pass on more usful info for all here at BOC.

Good shooting, Good fishing to all.

13. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    JMO for inline rifles I use 50/50 pellets but for my cap and ball I prefer powder.(pyrodex) Allen

14. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I usually shoot a Thompson Center Omega and I either use 50/50 pellets or triple seven pellets. They both shoot a lot cleaner than powder and is a lot easier to clean out of the barrel. They are also much easier to reload with. I think pellets ignite just as fast or faster than powder.

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I like the loose powder myself.

16. dledinger

dledinger New Member

State:
    NC
    Loose powder for me....

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive never used loose but in the modern muzzeloaders ide reccomend pellets. there just so simple. pop,pop, pop, and stick it the bullet. done. easy in the field with no spills no measuring and i too use the triple 7 clean burning pellets. less "black" to clean up. muzzeloaders need lots of cleaning. and the less mess the better.

if you had to clean up milk every time ya opened the fridge would ya rather clean up a cap full or a gallon. jmo. and at 100 yards with powerbelts i can put 2-3 insind a papertowel roll. and the other will split it.:crazy: and i payed $49.00 for my cva 45 cal. got it down from $139.00 on clearence. bsa scope.

my uncle is convinced that cva is junk. ive killed every deer ive shot at with mine. and he paid over $500.00 for his thompson. first time i ever shot it at game was a button buck and i dropped it in its tracks. split the spine just above the shoulder. i was shooting shockwave sabots then. but the plastic sleeve made a mess in the rifeling too. powerbelts are great with 777 pellets. very little mess to clean. jmo though.

and after seeing post #12 i would like to clear up that in modern i mean mine is an inline bolt action 209 primer gun.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I shoot a cva 50 mag hunterbolt magnum. For years I used the pellets but never was as accurate as Id like it to be. I could take deer but wanted more. Eventually Pyrodex powder went on sale and i tried it, i ended up loving it since I could taylor my load for my bullet. I also shot alot better with it. WIth pellets you are limited to certain volumes, thay are convenient but seem a little more expensive. Like others have said, guns like different stuff. Id vote for powder though.

19. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My CVA in-line shoots well with pellets, but after some testing with triple 7 pellets, I found out it DOESNT like them nearly as well as plain Pyrodex pellets! My sons CVA shoots triple 7 pellets better??????????????Guns will be guns! These 2 guns are the same model, but mine has a nickel (looks stainless to me) barrell, but they like completely different loads.:tounge_out:

20. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I hunt with a cva 45 mag hunterbolt magnum, it will stack 195 gr Powerbelt bullets with 2-50 gr pyrodes pellets at 100 yards, but the groups will open up to 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards with the same weight loose powder. One thing I learned this year, I had some Pyrodex pelltes that were about 3 years old, when I went to check the gun before deer season it would hit all over a 2 s q ft target, when it hit it. I thought my scope was bad or something. Checked the rings and cleaned the gun and shot it again. The first shot was dead on, then it started slinging them all over the place, again. Called a buddy of mine that builds black powder guns and told him what was going on, he said, throw out the old pellets and get some fresh ones, the can go bad. Bought some new Pyrdex pellets and the rifle was fixed. They don't always go bad, but they can,from now on, no stocking up on end of season "bargin" pellets at the end of the season, I'll buy new ones to hunt with each year.