Pelicans, snagging, and catfish!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Hannibal Mike, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I know tht this covers a lot of territory, but I would like to hear your thoughts. First, there are a lot of pelicans below Saverton Dam (#22) on the Missi right now. I assume that indicates that the shad are in the area in enough mass to feed these big birds. OK, but there does not seem to be blues or channels or hybrids in the area to feed on these shad. I say this partially because I have not caught one, but also because there are a lot of snaggers that come to the riprap on the edge of the tailrace and I have never, ever, ever seen a snagger catch a blue or channel while snagging. I have only seen one flathead of size (24 lbs) caught by a snagger (2 years ago). With the shad and skipjack that like the edge of the tailrace, I would just think that the cats would be here too. This is not my observation for this season, but for several years. The snaggers catch all kinds of fish, but no blues or channels on the edge or in the tailrace. Curious!!!! Hannibal Mike

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You really had me worried with the title of this thread.

Bet you can now guess my last name!:eek:

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hi Mike,

I haven't snagged any cats at Saverton, but I have snagged several channel cats and a flat head at Meyer. There are lots of pelican's there too.

Eric

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    has anyone ever hooked a pelican ? a friend of has hooked a crane and actually brought it in

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do know back home there is a warm water outlet above the Alton dam a ways where there were TONS of pelicans and the shad were just stacked in there. i didnt fish it but I know that there are cats in there at times. Not sure about your situation though. Maybe they just are packed in enought to get snagged? Or maybe with that many shad they are all full! LOL:) I dont know thats weird. I do know below the dam here there have been quite a few cats snagged accidentally.

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Well, I said that I had never seen a blue or channel snagged and I have not, but I did catch a pelican last year by mistake. They usually move away, so I was surprised. When it got close to shore, it was mean. Another guy helped me by putting a net over its head to keep it from poking me. It was really aggressive! The hook had caught a wing and was easy to release once the net was over its head. We both jumped back. I don't understand why the blues and channels are not in the tailrace or on the edge in the spring. Hannibal Mike

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a22: THERE SEEMS TO BE PELICANS ALL THE WAY UP& DOWN THE OLE MISSISSIPPI. MAYBE THIER HAVING BETTER LUCK CATCHING THE FISH THAT I'M NOT. THERE IS A LOT OF THEM DOWN AROUND THE CLARKSVILLE DAM. THINK THEY LEAVE DURING THE SUMMER DON'T THEY? HAVE NEVER FISHED THE SAVERTON DAM.BEEN GOING TO GO UP THERE ALL WEEK AND HAVEN'T MADE IT YET.