peference on hook setting

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 17, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im going fishing tomorrow and was curious.... if when using braid u should let the cat take the bait ( using a bait clicker ) or watch them take it ( tapping the rod ) and then set the hook

any suggestions..... ohh and i use octopos hooks

2. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK
    I would have to say majority would have there spool engaed and clicker off. The Idea behind it is to let the fish hook himself. I would be able to get a better idea if I knew what fish you are targeting and what bait.
    You will have a good idea when the fish is hooked when the tap tap turns into a full out pull, all pull that if the fish was not hooked or just about hooked the bait would have probaly rips off.

3. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK
    I think that the majority of people would say that the spool should be locked down. The Idea is to let the fish hook himself. You will have a pretty good idea when the fish is hooks (or just about) when the pull pull pull turns in to a tug that bows the rod. You want to look for that really hard pull as if the fish started fighting without you. As you pull the rod out of the holder DO NOT allow for the line to slack off = Start reeling as soon as possible!

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ON SETTING THE HOOK

(1) CIRCLE HOOK TIGHT LINE LET FISH SET HOOK

(2) KAHALE HOOK TIGHT LINE LET FISH SET LINE

(3) J HOOK SLACK LINE AND YOU SET THE HOOK WHEN LINE IS TIGHT