Peeling hands...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mudcreeker, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    I know this probably sounds really stupid, but for weeks after I go fishing, my hands seem to peel a lot. I notice it more when I am in the river, handling catfish and shad. Not only will my palms and fingers peel, but the back of my fingers. I can peel huge hunks of skin off, it isn't tender underneath, or red or anything like that. Regardless of how much lotion or vaseline I use (keep the jokes to yourself), they just keep on peeling. Then it just goes away and never comes back till I get back in the water. It almost seems like there is something in that ol nasty river water that my hands be allergic to. I used to get it noodlin in the Red River and in the Verdigris. Does anyone else get this or know what causes it?

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    first time i ever heard of that happening ,gotta be something in the water or maybe the fish??

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sounds like you need to see a doctor about a contact dermatitis, and the Dollar Store for some of those surgical gloves to put on when handling fish.

4. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Yeah, contact dermatitis is about the closest thing I could find that matched the symptoms. I can handle my hands being allergic to fish, as long as it ain't my belly that has a reaction!

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hmm kinda strange however I have heard something like this before. I wouldn't think it's the fish causing this tho. Might wanna just check with your family doctor on a reg. visit an mention it to him/her an see what they may have to say.

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Whenever I handle catfish and shad my hands will get real itchy and i'll get a lil peeling.. I always figured it was the fish slime that may have been irritating my skin.. but i dono..

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I had never noticed it until BigBird brought it to my attention. Whenever I handle shad, especially threadfin, my hands will peel some. I'm certain there is something in the shad that causes this.

Bill in SC

8. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have noticed that every fall my fingers peel. Sounds strange I know but it happens every year for about a week then stops. No contact with fish or water because i'm in a deer stand during this time.

It's like i'm part snake i guess.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've had the same thing happen to my hands as well. I linked it to handling lots of chicken livers. Once I stopped using chicken livers my hands stopped peeling. I now use mainly live bluegills or cut baits and have not had any further problems. It may actually be linked to the blood, I'm not sure.:crazy: