Peeled shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bluesbrother, Aug 19, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    son and i caught 4 this morning on peeled shrimp. one was pretty nice about 5 lbs:big_smile:

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    congrats, robert! i used shrimp only once. i didn't catch anything, though. i did get a couple of decent runs.

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Just curious why do you peel them?

Were these bait shrimp or something left over cooked?

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use them but never peel them. I get them at wallmart in a large bag 60 to 80 in a bag, something like that. I then divide them into several bags. They keep better this way. when you take the entire bag with they don't refreeze as well and are musshy the next time out.

5. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use shrimp 75% of the time. Great channel cat bait. I always peel them if I am using a circle hook because the shell gets on the point of the hook and prevents the point from getting a good hookup. On J hooks and kahle I also peel unless the rockbass and bluegills are nipping at my bailt.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to use shrimp for channelcats when I was growing up,maybe I'll do that again thanks for reminded me I appreciate it brother!pk powell:smile2:

7. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Shrimp has become my go to bait for channel cats. I always peel them for better hook sets. I also use the freshest shrimp available. Which usually at the seafood section at wally world. Also the cheapest.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp's great when boiled, cooled in the fridge, an served with a homemade cocktail sauce that'll take the paint of your truck. Or grilled on the barby. Head 'em, shell 'em, and devein 'em. But, if you are using for bait, be sure to get raw shrimp with the vein still in. I've tried both and the cats just don't seem to care as much for deveined shrimp.

9. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    we have some called tv bait shrimp in the freezer section at the store.1.99 there kinda not to big i think peeling them helps let the sent out into the water plus when they hit it peeled its soft they tend to take it. plus a better hookset. theres been times wene they wont touch it unpeeled. hope this helps

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Per In Fisherman Mag. Shrimp is one of the best baits and I remember using them when I was really younger. Have not tried it lately. They also recommend that if headless that they be hooked just below the tail and if whole, behind the crown. They also say that mussel meat is very good bait.

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    mussels yea i heard ..the shrimp i just like peel it and thread them on kinda kool cause there shaped like the hook, good luck

12. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    We have good luck with peeled shrimp,word of advice is to keep it fresh and on ice.For some reason seems once it starts to spoil the cats wont mess with it.Hope this helps

13. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually take some frozen shrimp, not peeled, cooked, or anything and let them warm up a bit then as they start getting stinky they are ready to cast out.