Peeled shrimp or whole for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Longhorns, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    I see many folks specifying peeled shrimp for bait. Does it really make a difference whether the shrimp is peeled or whole? Perhaps the peeled shrimp gives off more odor?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It all winds up peeled anyway. I've not noticed a difference. I don't usually peel mine all the way, just a few sections.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I agree that it all ends up peeled anyway. I don't bother - I'm usually in too excited to rebait and in too much of a hurry to care.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I know a fishing buddy that has used shrimp for years. I've never seen him peel one but he ALWAYS cuts/tears the tail off ... he swears it helps the bite.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've catfished with them for years.
    I've always used whole jumbo unpeeled shrimp. And it has to be fresh.

I think alot of people get the peeling part from some saltwater fishing experiences. Yes, I do peel shrimp and cut it into small pieces when fishing for small mouthed fish like spot.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Make sure the shrimp is raw, with the mud vein intact. That's most important. Then if you wanna peel it, that's up to you. I would stick with raw unpeeled shrimp.

7. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the response guys. Guess it doesn't really matter. Do wonder why saltwater fisherman peel their shrimp.

Mark, when you say it should/have to be fresh, does that definition include fresh frozen?

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never peeled mine I agree with mark they sould be fresh I keep mine on Ice:006:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    John, I dont always peel shrimp in saltwater fishing.
    It depends on what you are fishing for. Fishing for something like spots you have to peel them because if you try to cut pieces that small the shell comes off anyway.

For catfishing the fresher the better. I usually by mine from the fish counter in Walmart or some other grocery store unfrozen. During the season though we have alot of folks sitting beside the road selling fresh shrimp. If thats the case thats where I get mine.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've tried the unfrozen shrimp from Wally World. At least from my store, it smells like unwashed socks and doesn't do well. I've had better luck with the frozen medium size raw white shrimp Wally sells.

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i dont bother peeling mine i just put it on the hook whole, cast out and wait for the fight :lol:

12. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I always peel mine and toss the shell in the water for chum and as far as fresh I use mine over and over, I put them in the bait cooler frozen and try to keep them that way then when I got to bait up I peel them defrost them in water enough to get on the hook they seem to work the best around the fourth or fifth time out when they are just starting to change color but not mushy.

13. shaf

shaf New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do you catch mostly blues on the shrimp or do flats hit it pretty good too??
    Shaf

14. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    My father swore by peeled shrimp. In South Louisiana we use the native freshwater river shrimp. In the spring a small piece, peeled and on a small hook are perfect for small cats.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

For me, shrimp is a better channel bait. I do better with blues on cut bait and fish heads.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've caught flatheads and even a 30 pound flathead with large shrimp but I wasnt targeting flathead.
    If I were targeting flathead it would be a live bait along the lines of bream, eel, large minnows, goldfish, etc. and alot heavier tackle then what I was using.

17. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i used to never peel them but now always seem to get more bites my theory is after peeling them more scent is let out into the water.thanks guys

18. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    i was always told that the tail will sometimes poke the catfish and scare him off. I have always peeled mine.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Caught two 9 lb blues yesterday on frozen Wally World raw shrimp, unpeeled with tails on. Tried both unpeeled and peeled the peeled took three eater channels. Of course, the best was an 11 lb blue on cut up bits of small frozen shad.

20. TRYINGFORCATS

TRYINGFORCATS New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I Have Never Tried It For Cats. How Does It Differ From Using Cut Bream