Pee Dee/Waccamaw Coastal Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Mar 1, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me and my wife set out to Georgetown to try out those huge blues. This is my 3rd year heading down there in the late winter early spring to hammer those fat blues that are gourging themselves on shad and herring that are staging in the winyah bay to make there run up the river. Anyway we only caught 5 fish but all except 1 were HAWGS! 8.2lbs, 20.6lbs, 22.1lbs, 23.14lbs, 32.10lbs all fish were caught on cut gizzard shad in about 15-25ft deep and the water temp was 53deg.

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad y'all had a great day, James!! We put the boat in at Society Hill to more or less test the boat out as I had not previously had this boat in the water. Boat did fine. The water temperature was only 49 degrees, and the fish just wouldn't bite. Couldn't even catch a bream for bait so we fed the turtles some nightcrawlers. :) Had a great day on the river nonetheless!
    Bill in SC

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, James. Wish I could have been there, but I spent the day putting down new flooring in the dining room. :sad2: I was there on Friday, working, and saw several boats anchored up in various locations, appeared to be fishing for cats in most cases. I gotta start taking a rod with me. :wink:
    Will be on the upper PD later this coming week, probably. Maybe I can find time to wet a hook. :big_smile:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy I swas a ton of boats fishing for cats in the craziest places and everyone that I talked to didnt even get a bite. We didnt get aot of bites but the ones we did were good fish. I reckon everyone read their SC sportsman and was down there trying them out. Might get back down there Friday.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thaks for the report! Those are some nice fish!

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just checked the weather report and I will be heading back down o try them out this Monday. I hope to give a good report.

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    James, Keep it up brother.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me and my father went back down to Gtown to try the blues again and we hammered them BIGTIME. We caught 35 blues with the biggest 42.12lbs,(5)30+lbers,(11)20+lbers, and 18 smaller blues from 5lbs-15lbs. All fish were caught on cut river herring in about 25ft and the water temp was 54deg. I have never caught so many fish in 1 fishing trip and we were both wore out but had a great time.

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Great trip James,sounds like a helluva good time,thanks for the report:big_smile:

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Great report James. Now I really need a cat fix.

12. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    That was an excellent day of fishing. Thanks for the report.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Mark it was the best day I have ever had. I will be back down there thursday to try and top it.LOL

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's what I'm talkin' about!!!! Congrats, James!! Nothing like a father son expedition, and such success to top it off. That's a memory you will carry to the grave! I'm awestruck! :) If the good Lord lets us live long enough, I'd love to slip down there with you one day next winter, or follow you there and you can show us the general vicinity where to fish. :)
    Bill in SC

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill I have a full boat but will be back down there thursday morning. I hope we have the same results but I am not sure I will ever have a day like that again.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good day again but no where like the other day. Caught 14 blues 5lbs-17lbs all on cut river herring. The fish were still stacked up in the same place but they never would committ to the bait. They would pick it up and run with it and sometimes you would even fight them for a second and that was it they would spit it out and most of the time you would still have your bait. I marked some BIG fish but they werent interested today. We lost a few to hang-ups also but all in all I would say I never had a BIG fish on. My dad went yesterday and just fished the incoming tide and caught 16 and never moved out of 1 spot. He said later in the day they were dropping the bait alot also. I think I have back hooked on Catfishing.LOL All the fish I kept and cleaned stomaches were completly empty except for 2.

17. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    That's an awesome catch. I live in Surfside Beach and I work in Georgetown. Never thought the Blues would be this close to the salt water. Guess my thinking was wrong. I would like to go out with ya sometime. I've got a good rig, 25 ft Crest pontoon 115 Honda 4 stroke. Can definitly handle big water.
    Let me know,
    Jonathan