Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cliu, May 6, 2008.

1. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How is the fishing in the Pee Dee River. I am from NC but me and a friend of mine were taking about going to the Pee Dee to fish sometime this year. Any tips would help.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Charlie welcome to the BOC. Thefishing is goo and just gunna get better as the water warms. Use eels live or cut and fresh cut bream.

3. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Beware of the cut bream. A guy in the SH tournament over the weekend was handed a $400+ fine for not using "live" bream. Doesn't make any sense to me. Guess they'd rather the catfish eat a fresh bream and kill it rather than us cutting it up and kill it. hmmmm

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    He may have gotten a $400 fine but it wasnt for using cut bream cause it is perfectlly legal in SC. So if he did get a fine for it he got screwed and can easilly beat it.

5. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina

I'm pretty sure he said that was the reason. I could be mistaken. Bill in SC may be able to clarify.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't know the area, but good luck anyway.

7. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It should be legal if it was caught on rod and reel. If it was netted it would not be leagal.

8. blackrivertiger

blackrivertiger New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have seen several times on here that live eel is a popular bait of choice. I was curious, how do you come about these and what size is ideal?

9. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    YEA- I WAS AT THE SH TOO AND I AM SURE THAT IS WHAT HE SAID HE GOT FINED FOR WAS USING CUT BREAM

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Bream is legal as cutbait in SC,as long as it's caught on rod & reel.He probably got a fine for something else,didn't want to tell it.The man has been out lately-seen one put in Saturday on the Cooper(he had a 14' jon boat w/ a HUGE Merc. on the back! )anyway heard he cracked down on the flying past anchored boats rule.DNR have upgraded to F250's here in SC.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Patrick welcome to the BOC. Eels that most people use a rebought at most any local sporting good stores and some people catch there own in small feeder creeks. I like them to be about 8-12" long and I fish them alive.

12. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    U cannot use cut brim on set hooks or trotlines in SC. I was told this by a mud sheriff. This person was doing something else illegal. I know they have cracked down on littering.
    PEEDEE CAT

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

I was going to say trotline can't have game fish as bait. Its in the rules and regulations guide put out by DNR.

14. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can use live bream on set hooks and you can use live bream on trotlines, you just cant have more than 20 hooks per trotline when you use live bream. it's on page 20 of the rules and regulations under "bait"

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Bait
    No game fish, live bait or any bait other than bait listed below shall be used with trotlines, set hooks and jugs: soap, doughballs, cut fish (nongame fish cut into at least three equal parts), shrimp, grapes or meat scraps (shall not include insects, worms and other invertebrates).
    On the Edisto, Black, Sampit, Big Pee Dee,
    Little Pee Dee, Lumber and Waccamaw rivers, live nongame fish and bream may be used with single-barbed set hooks and trotlines that have a shank-to-point gap of one and three-sixteenths inches or greater.
    On the Black, Big Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee,
    Lumber and Waccamaw rivers, live nongame fish and bream may be used on trotlines having not more than 2 0 hooks with a shank-to-point gap of one and three sixteenths inches.
    Game fish used as bait must be included in daily creel limit, 30 bream per day (see pg. 18).
    There are no restrictions on the type of bait permissible in traps or eel pots except that no game fish or parts thereof shall be used as bait.

It was just the Edisto River in years past because of the flatheads eating the redbreast. Either way its legal so now what?

16. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    i fish the pee dee all the time its the only plase to fish for me. if you want to fish it give me a call,843-439-3540

17. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The cliff note version: you can fish with bream (live or cut). You CANNOT fish with bream with OUT a ROD AND REEL.

You CANNOT put them on set lines or trot lines.

AND you cannot pass the 30 per fish day exception when catching them for bait.

End of cliff note.

Tight lines...
    Ron

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ron sorry but the quote is straight from the DNR's website. There is no debating what is said so if a Warden has anything to say its on pages 19 & 20. I will be carrying a copy of the South Carolina Rules and Regulations with me from now on so they can't debate me on what is in the book. The Rule books are free and can be found at any place that sells license. I know our Wal-Mart has a stack on the counter in Sporting Goods.