Pee Dee River Sunday night 9/14

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Put in at Society Hill and went downstream. The moon made visibility real good all night. Caught 4 flatties and a nice blue. Went rummaging through my box for my scale and had left it in Big Bird's boat last weekend! :-( Went to snap some pics, and had left my camera chip home! :-( Anyhow the flatties were all less than ten pounds, and the blue was 17 or 18 pounds. Had fun anyhow. I think everyone, at least ME, needs to have a checklist before fishin'! Seems like every time I go, I forget something. :) BTW: The sturgeon were still jumping like crazy! I usually just catch a glimpse of them. Last night I just happened to be looking at the right spot when one jumped, and was looking right at him. Looked to be about 3 feet long, and in the 30 to 40 pound range.
    Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, you must be in about the same age group as I am, what with forgetting where you put things. I actually do have a checklist...if I could only remember where I put it. :roll_eyes:
    Thanks for the good report. Sounds like you had a great trip. That is really neat watching those big fish jump their entire body length above the water!

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill,
    I meant to keep your scale as yours is more gracious than mine!!!!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Bill, you must be in about the same age group as I am, what with forgetting where you put things. I actually do have a checklist...if I could only remember where I put it. :roll_eyes:>

You got that right, Tommy!!!! :wink:

Bill in SC

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report, Bill.

The sturgeon have been jumping a lot on the Edisto, too. I usually am not lucky enough to be looking in the right spot when they jump, but I turn in time to see the splash usually. I know they are getting some good height, because you hear the "exit" as they jump out of the water and then about 1/2 second later there is the CRASH as they splash back!

I'm waiting for the day one lands in the boat. Boy is that gonna hurt!

By the way, see any alligator hunters out in your area? There were a few boats out running around the Edisto on Saturday, and a couple of DNR officers, too. The officers stopped by to pay me a visit (fortunately, I had my license and preservers and whistle and all.)

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Since I joined the BOC, I been meaning to get myself some scales so I can forget them like I do my camera!

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, now, drpepper, you know when you get a set of scales, the weight comes down significantly on the catches. :big_smile: Before you use scales, they can be as big as you want them to be. lol

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great time on the water, congrats and good luck in the future

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad you got back on the river Bill and got to catch som nice fish. The fish down this way are biting real good too a buddy of mine fished sunday during the day and caught 14 all out of 1 hole all blues less than 10lbs. I hope tey are still going strong for the tournamnet sat.:wink:

10. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    BTW: The sturgeon were still jumping like crazy! I usually just catch a glimpse of them. Last night I just happened to be looking at the right spot when one jumped, and was looking right at him. Looked to be about 3 feet long, and in the 30 to 40 pound range.
    Bill in SC[/quote

wow I didnt know there was sturgeon here in the rivers do they look like gars or are they much different? I know they can get pretty big just never been around them I dont think.

11. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Last year I had one drench me head to toe while bass fishing one COOL October morning out of the sneak boat on the Edisto.

Last Sunday evening I had three swim witin 3ft of the boat in about 8 in. of water while crossing a shallow area. The largest was probably 5 ft long.

The area of the Edisto from around Martin's Landing to Hwy 17 in Jacksonboro is loaded with them from July-December.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  13. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have you ever caught one? are they endangered or can you fish for them

14. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    And it was nice to meet all of yall from the gathering wish I could have been alittle earlier

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    David, I'm pretty sure they are highly protected here. They are popular to fish for in the Pacific Northwest, but you have to turn the big ones loose. Tommy can tell you more than me though. He's the sturgeon guy.
    Bill in SC

16. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Fish for 'em if you want the DNR to be using your TRUCK & BOAT to do courtesy checks while you sit in a FEDERAL PRISON. State regs. state that it is illeagal to even ATTEMPT to catch them. The Atlantic Sturgeon is an endangered species protected by the Feds last I heard.

A few years ago some guys were caught in the Savannah River with a false bottom in their boat. They were "snagging" them with trebbel hooks like they do in the midwest for Spoonbills. As I recall they each got 20 years.

I will research for a link to the story.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like Danny says, the Atlantic and Shortnose species aren't at all legal to catch. I've only heard of a couple being caught on tackle around here, so the odds aren't too good for catching one anyway. They mostly feed on bottom dwelling worms, insects, small crustaceans, etc, and don't really have a very large mouth in relation to their size. If someone were to accidentally catch one, I would strongly suggest cutting the line close to the hook and releasing it without bringing the fish into the boat. Even the ones we catch and release for research are controlled and regulated by the conditions of the permit we operate under. Most of the sturgeon seen jumping upriver this time of year are more likely to be Atlantics, which do make a fall spawning run, according to what little I know about them. The Shortnose make their spawning runs in early spring, and the females are thought to spawn only every two years.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT info, Tommy! BTW: As many as I have seen jumping during the few times I have been to the river in the last month, their numbers surely must be increasing. This would be a good thing as they are cool fish.
    Bill in SC

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I haven't been involved with the sturgeon but about 1-1/2 years, and I'm far from being an expert, but from what I see (relating only to our area) the Atlantic species doesn't seem to be in such bad shape, at least when compared to the Shortnose. Those guys are pretty hard to come by, but hopefully some of the data we and others gather will serve to help increase the total population. There are really very interesting creatures.