Pee Dee river question

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mack in n.c., Mar 25, 2006.

1. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    this question is anyone who puts in at the hwy 109 bridge above blewett.....on the map it looks like a good little creek comes into the pee dee about a mile above the bridge on the left....question.....is it big enough to canoe up into it aways........by the atlas and gazetter it comes out of sc an should be decent size by the time in runs into the pd..........thanks mack

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mack i ve been to that landing and i would be wary about leaving my truck parked there. there is a good current in that area when they are pulling water from tillery. at the 109 bridge its like 75-100 yards wide. if the creek your talking about is rocky river then there is some canoeing done it there. there is another creek down there too that is called grassy island creek i think but small. hope this helps.

3. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    not the rocky river...this crrek is just above the bridge ....called brown creek on the map.......i looked at it yesterday on google earth and it has open channel form the mouth up a ways.............anyone been in this creek??????

4. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you might be able to go a 100 yards then you hit a large log jam. I went up as far as i could go a couple years ago in a john boat
    hope this helps

5. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    thanks bmastiff......hopefully there will be some nice bream in there...mack

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    mack,
    I fish around grassy islands alot, and the creek that mastiff was talkin bout(grassy island creek) is pretty small, but they're putting in a new floating dock there so access is nil right now. Still would be a nice area to canoe. Hope this helps. I might try goin up to 109 bridge sometime soon to see if I can catch some of those cats like mastiff has on his pic.

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i am planning on putting in at 109 then go up to creek....creek will be for catching bait.....in my experiance it will be easier to catch bream in a creek like that than in the main river......the bream will be my bait for the main river...thanks for everyones help..mack

8. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mack I haven't had much luck catching bream in the river this time of the year so you might want to carry some with you. I catch my bream in a farm pond and keep them in an old bath tub i converted into a bait tank till i'm ready to go.

theres alot of big rocks in the river between the boat landing and the mouth of that creek so be careful and good luck

9. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys, the best fishing I have ever done is between 109 and rocky river. I would say it's about halfway in between the two. It's probably 4 miles from 109. There is a hole maybe a thousand yards long that will average 15 to 20 ft deep when they're not generating. There is a private landing on the left if you're heading up river. The problem is it can't be reached from 109 when the water is low. I have caught 2 flatheads over 40lbs there. The biggest blue has only been 27.