Pee Dee River 7/14

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hit the river this morning with my father and uncle. The water was up and muddy but the water temp was still down around 80deg. The bite was on fire. We started out around 8:30am and fished until 3:30pm. Caught 8 flatheads from 10lbs to the biggest 22lbs and 3 blues from 12lbs to the biggest 16lbs. Caught fish on everything from live eel, live bream, live bullhead, and cut bream. The fish were bitting strong from 1st thing this morning until after 12 and then they slowed down. We caught 7 flatheads before noon. The biggest fish was caught while we were reeling in the rods to leave because there was a storm approaching and I wasnt about to play around in that lightning. Oh yeah I never did see any HOT CHICKS in a boat just 2 old farts bream fishing. Oh well I guess some guys have all the luck. :smile2:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Check out the way we caught this blue. He smoked the rod and we thought we had a hammer blue but turned out he was just faul hooked. We also got an awsome show from some BIG Sturgeons. They kept jumping out of the water and putting on a great show. We fished down at the tanyard today.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sorry forgot the Pics for the fowl hooked fish.

Attached Files:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report, James. Man, I haven't been in TWO weeks! I GOTTA get out there. Those fouled hooked fish can fool ya. They fight like CRAZY! :)
    BB in SC

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch James. I know sharing a Pee Dee Smack fest with your father and uncle had to be fun.:wink: Good job.:big_smile:

6. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    man your making us look bad... you need to stop that. maybe next time the hot chicks will be there in the boats riding around lol

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    James, approximately how big would you say our eastern sturgeons get? How big did those look you saw?
    BB in SC

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good fishing, congrats

9. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Bill, A few years back a sturgeon jumped out the water as we were going down the river near the tanyard, that thing looked like it was 6 or 7 ft. long, i did not realize things that big were in there.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah I would have too say the ones we saw were close to 5'-6' range. That was 1 awsome sight to see. They are quite the acrobats.

Catfever do you fish up there near the Tanyard much.

12. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Hey guys all this catching fish irritates me cause I can't go but hope it won't be long and to answer Bills question on the size of sturgeons in pee dee, Bill I have fished shad nets with my father all my life and I don't know about now but when I was a kid I have seen them up to 150 to 200 lbs.
    My dad and I were at Allison landing once in the early 70's and an older guy fishing shad nets came up to the landing with one of his nets tied to the side of the boat we thought he had a lod hung in it but turned out it was a sturgeon almost as long as the 2 man boat he was in but now in the last 10 years the biggest one I have seen was about 60 to 80 lbs.
    Hope you can latch on to one they are one heck of a fight.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reason I asked is because there is an old photo I see occasionally. Of course I can find it nowhere now. It was taken in 1941 at the Cheraw landing. It is of an 800 pound sturgeon. The caption of the pic says they got a wrecker truck down to the landing to winch it out. Personally, I have never seen a sturgeon in the river, but have heard about them all my life, and I know Tommy monitors their movement with electronic tracking. I spent some time in Oregon salmon fishin' a few summers. There is a HUGE fish tank at the Bonneville dam that has some HUGE sturgeon in it. Those big ones are quite graceful, and remind me of a manatee's movement. I think the law in Oregon says that if you catch one five feet long or over, they have to be released. Sturgeon fishin' is pretty big out there. I wouldn't dare bother one of those beautiful prehistoric looking creatures. Most interesting creatures, to say the least.
    Don't feel bad about not being able to go, Willie. I have the mother of all toothaches right now and can't go either. Went to the dentist to get it pulled, but the Novocaine wouldn't deaden it due to the inflammation that is in it. Doc put me on antibiotics, and I won't get back there until MONDAY! I'm piled up here with ice packs and pain killers, but still plumb miserable right now.
    Bill in SC

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  15. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    James, I have not catfished up there for a couple months, my dad keeps me on the go wanting to bream fish so i take him as much as i can, he doesnt care about fishing for the cats, i usually fish anywhere from tanyard back to samworth.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I wentdown around samworth a few weeks back and caught a couple of nice blues on the rising tide but when the tide turned and started back out not another bite. I have been exploring down in that area some and was thinking somone has to catfishing down here because it looks like catfish paradise but have never seen another person. Bream fishing is all rtight with you Dad that is a good time to catch bait.:smile2: Maybe we can hook up and do some fishing down that way. I know there are huge blues down there cause I have caught them but there has to be flatheads too and I havent been able to sneak up on them past the 701 bridge.