Pee Dee 301 area

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by greencows00, Jul 4, 2008.

1. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    we put in this afternoon and wow what a storm... we tried to catch some bream for bait but only caught 4 small and i mean small channel cats. talked to a guy at the bridge who said he had put some brush lines out last night and only caught 2... a few others i have talked to said they havent caught many lately either...

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bubba welcome to the BOC and glad to see another Pee Dee River man on here. The fish have been biting pretty good and the bigger fish have started turning on again. The water temps are pretty high so the fish are all pushed to the deeper holes and move around less during the heat of the day. There still there just have to be a little more patient this time of the year.

3. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    James... you do know me kinda.. you know my stepdad pretty well. Wes at Black's Tire. yeah the storm kinda ruined our trip some. we have been putting in at Bluff but decided to try 301. maybe one of these days you can show us how to fish this river again since its been a real long time since we really fished for cats in the pee dee. :big_smile:

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Bubba. I wish I could help but I have no idea.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bubba I knew that name sounded familiar tell the Old Goat I said hello. Yall ought to come out to our Club metting on tuesday night at shoneys on 52. Come check out the Pee Dee Catmasters and meet plenty of other Catfisherman. We are metting at 6:30pm and everyone is welcome you dont have to be a member to attend. Talk to you soon.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Bubba! Like James said, by all means if you get the chance, come to our meeting Tuesday. Lotsa great fishin' folks in our group.
    Bill in Bennettsville

7. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Welcome friend to the BOC and like the other guys I would like to see and in my case meet you tuesday nite at the meeting. Good luck on the fishing. I live only about 2 mi. from Dewitts bluff and I try to at least if nothing else just drive there everyday just to look.

8. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if you put in at 301 take a left.... It was real shallow but maybe a little deeper with the rain. Start looking on your left once you past the sandbar and look for the sand/rock bank on your left. I guess its about 200 yards downstream.

If the river is at normal level, the drop off is about 18 feet deep. Last time I was out it was about 8 feet deep. But I caught some nice cats in there last time. I think I had one hit on cut bait, but all of the channels I caught were on stink bait. Either the sonny's blood formula or the strike king catawba worm formula. I actually had more hits on the strike king...

later...
    Ron

9. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    Ron,

that area your talking about was still about 7-8 feet deep... for some reason our depth finder likes to lie to us its hard to tell all the time. lol

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My fishing partner went to the river today and smoked them. He fished from 9am-3pm an caught 6 fish all in the upper teens(5 blues and 1 flathead). The water is up and the trees and debris are floating everywhere and made it real diffucult to fish. On a good note with all of this fresh water the water temps dropped from 88deg to 80deg so that really helped out the fishing. Get them up moving around more. Fish were caught on a little of everything cut and live bream and cut and live eell. I sure wish I would have been there instead of working.:angry: I never get to go on the good trips.HAHAHHAHA

11. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    i am so glad we got this rain... we need it and more. have a couple ponds i want to get filled back up too.. lol

we might go this weekend. depends on if wes is up to it. if we do im sure we will be down at bluff.

12. greencows00

greencows00 New Member

State:
    SC
    james...how do you fish live eel? we have never done that before. we normally use crawfish when we go... or worms and fish for bream on the bottom.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hook them through the lips and then cut him about 2inches from the end of his tail to make him bleed. You have to handle them with a dry rag to hold them. Try using them cut in about 2inch pieces and you will catch some nice fish.