Pecans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, Feb 1, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found a whole bunch of them!what I dont know is what to do with them. I cracked a few of them but that a whole lot of work.When you sell them do they have to be cleaned? and what are they worth?
    smokey

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Eat them suckers! they are good to eat and to cook with.:wink:

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know any efficient way to clean them for sale, but I'd shuck those puppies and use em for baking, Joe! Have a whole bag of them here, from some old trees at our school. Make great cookies :smile2:

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    COOKIES Ahhhhhhhhhh

5. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Joe, if I were you, I'd shell them and put them in the freezer for cooking. You can make more than just cookies outta them. They are going somwhere between $5 and $7 a bag at the grocery store, I'm thinkin maybe that is a 1lb bag.. not real sure. If u are lookin to sell them unshelled, I haven't the slightest clue on the price. If you wantin to just get rid of them, let me know and I may hook ya up on that part.:wink:

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know about your part of the country, but here in Central Texas, "in shell" pecans are selling wholesale for a little over a dollar a pound. It was a very bad year for pecans in parts of Texas. I have a Pecan Orchard with 175 mature trees. We only made about a thousand pounds this year. They are alot of work. If they're native pecans, they're difficult to work with as they're small and very tough skinned. We don't have any native pecans, paper shells and some hard shells, but larger than the natives. If they weren't sprayed, chances are they can have bugs inside, just look. If they are natives, I'd find a feed store or Pecan place that buys them and sell them or have them crack them for you. A few pecans aren't too difficult to crack, but alot takes some time. It generally costs about .30 cents per pound to have them cracked. Store them in freezer bags and freeze them. If you don't freeze them right away, make sure the bag isn't sealed up because moisture will make them become moldy and they will ruin. We use pecans year round, in pies, salads, as snacks, roasted....

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Joe, here is what you need bro. I couldn't do without mine; the nut meats come out whole and fairly clean from the get go.

http://www.inertianutcracker.com/

The price Leslie quoted for a pound of SHELLED pecans is close to the same in western NC, last time I looked they were between $7-9; not sure what pecans IN the shell are going for.