Peak Spring Fishing Times

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sexton, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just starting to shake off the bow-hunting blues and with no deer in the freezer, my mind drifts quickly back to the waters. Consider I totally missed the fall hot times to fish, How bout the spring? When do catfish spawn in my area and where? In your opinion, what is the week or so this upcoming spring that one MUST BE ON THE WATER? Say you only have one week of vacation in the spring and you want to spend it catching numerous monster cats, when would that be?? Any info will be thanked, just want a good low down on late winter/spring catfishing. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Or any spring time preferred baits?

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Why wait until the spring. Monsters are being caught now! November to March is HOT HOT HOT. One week is as good as the next.

If you have to wait 'til spring, wait until you hear reports of the shad and herring running upriver, then fish upriver.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    If I only had one week to fish the James and that was it for the year it would have to be when the shad and herring are running. Catch those herring by the bucket then use them for bait for the big cats and anything else that will hit them. It's almost a guaranteed good week for fishing. I can't imagine only being able to fish for just one week.:cry:

5. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    never been to the james hows the best way to catch the shad and herring ? thrownet or lite tackle with a gold hook?

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    You can pull in 6 at a time with every cast just about. I've only caught herring but people around me were catching american and hickory shad.

7. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    thanks