Peace and Quiet @ SML

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fish4anything, May 31, 2006.

1. fish4anything

fish4anything New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Now that Summer is almost here does anyone have any idea where a man can go on Smith Mountain Lake on the weekend to wet a hook and not get ran over by a bunch of drunks? I don't have the luxury of fishing it during the week. Me and my cousin was sitting back in a cove last year watching boats zoom by at 2 am in the morning and I told him that I seldom went out on a weekend due to the boat traffic. He thought I was joking. The next week was when those two people got killed by the guy in the speed boat. He believed me then.

2. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    I would say that the Witcher Creek area of the lake is the most tame. The development isn't as large, and there are no marinas, restaurants, bars, etc. I've caught stripers and bass, but have not tried cats there.

Hope it helps

Bo

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a Coleman Scanoe w/a little 3HP motor and I used to like going out to the lake for a little fishing. Not anymore! The idiots out there will kill you. Between the boats with 250HP+ and those damn jet ski's, it's a dangerous waste of time execpt late at night in the middle of the week....and then you better be careful!

4. fish4anything

fish4anything New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do pretty good in the cove where I live off the bank. But sometimes its nice to able to put the boat in and go somewhere new and drop an anchor. Only problem is with the bass boats going by you about 50 feet away doing 80 mph that anchor needs to be the size of a Volkswagon beatle.

5. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont see how you can complain about boat traffic when you dont even go out on your boat. The dock you are fishing from may have a little traffic but thats probably ants traveling to your half eaten little debbie you forgot about.

6. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I don't see how anyone can say. That speending in a boat is not trouble.

For the brother who made the first post here about the boats. If you can get the number to smith mountain lake reality call them and ask to speak to dale or dan wilson. he can put you in contact with the people you would need to speak with about having something done about it.

I have also seen for my self how the boat speeding has got alittle out of hand on the lake. people who do need no boat or should have there boat took when seen doing it.