PCB Testing on Lake Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by billfish76, Dec 13, 2009.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's sad. I doubt if there are many, or any waterways at all here in the US that are not polluted. WE are doing everything we can do to destroy ourselves.

BB in SC

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Captain Rodger Taylor called me about that earlier tonight and I have spent the evening researching the topic.

It appears SC DHEC has done little to look into the condition of the fish from Lake Wateree since the 90's.

According to the EPA study Lake Norman and Mt. Island Lake also have elevated levels of contaminants. Mt. Island Lake supplies drinking water to Charlotte and Gaston County.

The response from Susan Massengale with the NC Division of Water Quality; "the EPA report contained errors on the levels of PCBs found in lake fish there. Some of the laboratory samples may have been contaminated"

Translation: "Oh crap, I told you we should have done our own testing and not relied on Duke Energy to do it for us!!!"

What's the truth? Who knows. :roll_eyes:

Another good reason to NOT EAT 10-20 year old catfish from area lakes.

:crazy:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good reason not to eat any fish at all from the local lakes

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....good reason not to eat any fish at all from the local lakes...."

Good reason to eat the small ones. They have less time to consume the bad stuff. The big old ones must have a lot more. I would be interested to see how the sampling differs from a young fish compared to an older fish.

Might be time to get a biologist out at a Carolina Catfish Club meeting to talk about that.

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I worked at a company in R.H. that released chem. in the water(by accident) on back shifts. Usually small but sometimes large. Now this is one company of many that probably have accidental spills that are not reported. I have a problem with eating fish from Wylie or Wateree. I hope they do a test and report there findings.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Good reason to eat the small ones. They have less time to consume the bad stuff. The big old ones must have a lot more. I would be interested to see how the sampling differs from a young fish compared to an older fish.

Might be time to get a biologist out at a Carolina Catfish Club meeting to talk about that.>

I too would be interested in those findings.

Bill in SC

8. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well check out this link...
    http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/water/fish/map.htm

Almost the whole state of SC has Dhec fish advisory... I find it hard to believe that all the rivers flowing in and out of a lake are contaminated but the lake isn't??? How is that so?? Also in columbia when we get heavy rains the sewage plant dumps into the river which runs to santee.... So how could that not pose affects to the water system? I think the EPA should come down on DHEC!!!! Come on willie nelson tour bus unloaded it's holding tank in Illionis over the river that cost 10,000 bucks...... City of columbia can dump hundreds of gallons about 8 times a year for free? Start digging a hole and throw some 55 gallon drums in it and see what happends to ya...

9. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't think it's that all the river is contaminated, but the portions down stream from the lake. If you look at the Saluda River as it relates to Lake Murray, you'll see that both the rivers flowing into and out of the lake on the map are labled "Saluda River." So if only the down-stream portion of the river is technically contaminated, then on the map the whole river shows up as red, including the portion flowing into Murray, which has no advisories. At least, that's the way I read it. That would be the only thing that makes sense, any way.

10. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Congaree River - From Columbia to the Santee River

[​IMG]
    One meal per week

Bowfin (Mudfish)
    Largemouth Bass
    Chain Pickerel
    [​IMG]
    No Restrictions

Black Crappie Bluegill
    Striped Bass
    Blue Catfish
    Channel Catfish
    Redear Sunfish
    -----------------------
    Saluda River - From Lake Greenwood Dam to the Congaree River in Columbia, SC
    (Does not include Lake Murray)

[​IMG]
    One meal per week

Largemouth Bass
    Bluegill
    [​IMG]
    One meal per month

Bowfin (Mudfish)
    [​IMG]
    No Restrictions

Black Crappie
    Channel Catfish
    Redear Sunfish
    Redbreast Sunfish
    White Bass

--------------------------------------------
    It seems that our sc waters has issues...
    Also if I do recall the newspaper said 40% of murray bass have pcb issues...I don't eat fish anyways due to back home in TN you are playing with fire if you eat fish that you catch also...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I would like to know if the sample of fish that are tested for PCB is just what they can "shock up" from shocking boats.

Shocking fish produces a sample that is not necessarily a fair average of what would be in an actual creel sample from anglers, or what is caught for commercial sale to the general public.

12. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I will call DHEC to find out and see if we can donate them some frozen samples from the local lakes... I would really like to know about monty since the cats have forked whiskers....

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    let me know when I want to come to that one thanks dieter

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I will call DHEC to find out and see if we can donate them some frozen samples from the local lakes..."

Don't waste your time. Unless they are the ones to collect them they will not test them. They have no way of knowing where they actually came from or if they are tainted.

It would help to stay on them for some results and some answers.

:wink:

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    :roll_eyes:

You would think that with a fish advisory the state would BAN commercial sale of fish from those waters.

I think there is a lot more to unfold from all of this.

:wink:

16. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Called but got a fella's vm so I emailed them got a response today saying they would help me with any information I need.. I will post up some information here in a few days... This is a copy of the email response, I just asked about one lake but I will get to other lakes in sc.. Dont want to scare or piss him off...:wink::smile2:

Response #1 of this series
    "Dear David,

I received your request for information concerning Lake Monticello. I would be pleased to discuss this with you. You may call me at the number below or send an e-mail if your specific questions.

Best Regards,

Jim "

17. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah if anyone else would like this fella's email just let me know.... I have yet to even get a email or a phone call.... I think I will email WISTV!!!:angry:

18. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    David,

We have data from Lake Monticello from several years from 1999-2007. Mercury levels were below the analytical detection limits for almost all specimens. There are no restrictive consumption advisories for Lake Monticello. We have a fairly good understanding of the water conditions that would potentially lead to fish having elevated tissue mercury. In general, these conditions are found in the coastal plain of SC and not in Lake Monticello. With regard to PCBs I will need to get back with you next week. One of my staff maintains those data and he is out today. However, there is no reason to believe that there would be elevated levels of PCBs in Lake Monticello. We obtain our freshwater fish specimens by electroshocking. A current is put through the water and fish are stunned and float to the surface. We collect those we need and the others revive and swim away. Because of chain of custody issues associated with a regulatory agency we rarely obtain fishes from anglers. An exception is offshore saltwater fish which anglers sometimes donate at the conclusion of fishing tournaments.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Jim

James B. Glover, Ph.D., Manager
    Aquatic Biology Section
    South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
    2600 Bull Street
    Columbia SC 29201
    Phone- 803-898-4081
    Fax- 803-898-4200
    E-Mail- GloverJB@DHEC.SC.Gov

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the info and contact information.

I will be contacting Dr. Glover soon. My question concerns whether there are higher concentrations in older catfish, versus younger ones. With catfish living for 20-30 years, I would like to know if more PCB and mercury builds up in older fish. I think I know the answer, but I want to ask Dr. Glover.

Here is a quote from Dr. Glover:

"...Simply put, larger older predators tend to have higher levels of mercury than smaller specimens from the same location. For example, the largemouth bass that had the highest reading of 0.89 ppm was the largest specimen in the data set; 21 inches long. The average length of largemouth bass from the Lake Murray dam site was 15.7 inches, while the average length from the upper Lake Murray Site was 14.4 inches. This, along with other unknown variables and natural variability, could account for the slightly different readings at these two sites...."

Well, to me at least, the blue catfish is the largest predator in the the lake. They can easily eat a 15.7" bass, so, with that in mind, isn't it possible that the levels in large blue catfish or flatheads could be higher?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  20. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    David,

I am not aware of the deformed whiskers in catfish in Lake Monticello. A screening study was conducted by the USEPA, the report of which was just released, that showed PCB levels in Lake Wateree that were elevated. The lead author of this EPA study cautioned the State reporter that these data should not be used to issue advisories, because there were only 5 fish examined, but this information was provided in the State article. We had no reason to believe that there was PCB levels in Lake Wateree that would be a problem. We are currently collecting more data and should have the results early this year.

Jim

James B. Glover, Ph.D., Manager
    Aquatic Biology Section
    South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
    2600 Bull Street
    Columbia SC 29201
    Phone- 803-898-4081
    Fax- 803-898-4200
    E-Mail- GloverJB@DHEC.SC.Gov

OK well it makes sense if you get only 5 fish and all 5 fish have higher levels??? Well a 5th grader could fig this one out... That we have a issue and we need to attend to it quick not later this year after people eat the fish...