PB out of spillway

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    How many of you have had your PB out of the spillway at any lake? I went to the spillway tonight and I think I am going to go there alot more.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Which one?

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    When they are lettin out alot of water they can produce some nice ones.
    My old PB blue came from a Hydroelectric dam. The same dam produced my PB channel at 20 lbs.
    I dont really fish spillways, but they are good fishin for the same reasons.
    The block migration and baitfish school up real THICK below them.
    Be prepared to lose tackle and toss big lead.:wink:

4. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    All of them. I mainly go to melvern myself.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    In all my years I can not recall hearing of a big cat being taking from the Melvern outlet. The biggest one I have heard of that did not come from the lake was caught in the swimming area. That has been 15 plus years though.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I fish spillways a lot. Fish are naturally concentrated there and if you can
    climb around on rip-rap they are pretty easy to fish. You can even catch
    fish there when they aren't letting out much water at all. Move a bit
    further downstream if its comming out really fast. Doesn't work everytime
    but generally its worth a look when you drive by.

7. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I hear good things about pomona but I like how you can walk down to the grass and not fish in the rocks on melvern. I have a hunting buddy that fishes the spillway at melvern and he has landed 30 - 50lb flatheads.

8. Team Backwoods

Team Backwoods New Member

State:
    Kansas
    the state record flathead came from the outlet here at elk, I see a couple 70+ lb flathead come out of there every year, and that where I got my PB flathead 37lbs 9oz.

9. Team Backwoods

Team Backwoods New Member

State:
    Kansas
    try using a 2 oz slide sinker, with live shad. Fish close to the outlet, along side the current. just let your bait drift around in there.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thats not the story i heard on it:crazy:

11. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yeah I thought that 123lb flattie came when he was fishing the dam at Elk City Res for crappie with a zebco 33 and 12 lb test line.That's what In Fisherman said anyway.They've been wrong before.

12. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Perry spillway can be really good because of how close it is to kansas river - also Eldarado is good because of the big watershed it has shortly down stream. When the gates open there it's like a dinner bell - flatheads just stack up. When the water gets shut down the next 4 hours or so can be great!! I know it goes against everything ya hear beacause of the drop of the water but this is the ONLY exception I've ever seen.