PB on Muskingum

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ben Noll, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been lucky enough this summer to have set my PB twice.Ist was about three weeks ago with at 35-8.Last night I put a 43-10 in the boat.It was 46 and 1/2 inches long.He took a 5 inch bluegill.My buddy and I had 3 other pretty good runs.One was real strong and when John stood up and swung at him the line broke and his you know what hit the boat and he damm near fell out of the boat-he had to let loose of the rod to grab the side of the boat to catch himself-John was dry but there was a splash. It was his 200 dollar Penn Reel and Loomis Heavy rod.Both are now resting peacfully in about 12 and a half feet of water.It was one of those times when you laughed your ass off but felt bad at the same time.This trip was sure different than the last two times out-over eight hours without even a bump.
    The S-man says I have to get a camera that will take pictures that I can post-I've got pictures but their on those throw away cameras.

If I can scan and post I'll get my son to show me how to get my mug and some pictures on here.Going again tonight-hopefully I can post again.Good fishing and be safe. PS-My buddy John hates powerpro line-I don't use it and what I've seen,its ok if you are in open water with no structure-but if it drags over or thru something it will break quick.Just ask John with the sore back side and short one rod and reel.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the new PB there Ben!!

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Congrats on the new PB and a nice fish.

4. bigcat54

bigcat54 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on pb!

Chad

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben congrats on the new PB. WTG.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats Ben on your new personal best! You sure are hammering the good fish this year! Keep it up!

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice job on the PB!!

8. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good job. Thanks for sharing the story. I feel real bad for John. Two weeks ago, I set the hook on a striper and the reel slipped out of my hand and the pole ended up in the water. Without thinking, I dove out of the boat in my boots and jeans and grabbed my rod before it sank out of sight. I was lucky, but the fish got off and I lost my favorite hat. Keep up the good work!

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on the new PB

10. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Congrats on the new pb. Keep it up.

11. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good job on the hoh! Thats why I use 100# rope
    Little line little fish Could have been another monster in that area.Thanks for the report good luck always.Get a few pictures up bother.

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Way to go Ben ....you can stop fishin that hole ne time now :smile2: :smile2: save some for next year :wink:

13. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Congrats on the PB Ben! Sorry to hear about your buddy's lost rig. Guess i gotta get back to the Muskingum again soon. Man you guys are catching some nice ones there!

14. tomh

tomh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish Ben!!

You're right about braided line fraying on bottom structure, especially rocks. I had several break-offs at Dillon a couple of years ago after dragging baits across the submerged railroad bed. Later, 50 and 65 # braid was breaking on the hangups and not the 20# leader on the hook. Got to looking at the braid and it was frayed. Now I use an Albright knot with about 5 to 6 wraps of the doubled braid to tie 50-60 feet of mono on top of the braid and that seems to work well. I put a drop of super glue on the knot that joins the braid and mono otherwise the braid may slip out of the loop of mono used in the Albright knot. Be sure to let the glue dry well before reeling in the mono!!!!!!!!

Tom

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Good job Ben! Glad to hear you are still slamming the big ones. If you ever feel like sharing your secrets for catching hogs, I'm sure Rollo could use a couple pointers. LOL

16. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
  17. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey S-man-You and Rollo are the hawg bandits-I'm just an old rookie that got lucky a few times this year.Probably knowing that stretch of river that I fished for over 50 years has perhaps played a small part in my success .You may not know it but you have played a bigger part in my success than you think.You made a me a quite,no light,swispering sneak.I have also beefed up my equipment. Now all I need is a parking meeter anchored up in that certain hole.

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats Ben on another new Personal best!