PB for 2008 7-17-08

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Knoxcats, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Last night I was fishing on Ft. Loudon Lake from the old Turkey Creek (Northshore Drive) bridge. TVA cut the generators off at 9pm, so there was no current. Started fishing about 11:00pm, with a lantern hung off the bridge. It even took forever for the shad minnows to come up. Very slow night. (No current - no fish) The wad of night crawlers on my cat rod went untouched for nearly 3 hours.

I did see some bluegill swimming around the lantern, so I dropped a small hook and a piece of night crawler down, catching several bluegills to break the boredom. One small one swallowed the hook, so I thought..."Catfish bait."

Cut the bluegill and put the head and a filet on the hook and cast out into deep water. It was about 2:30am, and I was starting to get tired plus I had to go to work today, so I started putting things away except for my cat line. Five minutes had not passed before the bait-runner feature on the Okuma reel got my attention. After 6 or 7 seconds of peeling line, I flipped the lever and set the hook. Game on!

When all was said and done, a very nice 28 pound blue cat was landed. No picture...sorry. The guys fishing at the other end of the bridge had already left. The catfish and I parted ways, and I headed to the house a happy fisherman!

A little tired this morning, but that's why there is a coffee pot in my office!

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on a fine Bluecat and Personal best. You gotta love those Okuma reels!:big_smile:

3. EarlyBird

EarlyBird New Member

State:
    East TN
    Sounds like a long, but good night. Im going to fish the george creek area saturday. The last time I was there shad were everywhere. I thew the ole cast net and netted lots of 4-6 in gizzard shad. We gutted some and left some alive, but as you said no current = a long fishing night and we didn't get a bite. Hopefully I will hook up with some this weekend.

4. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Come to think of it, on Ft. Loudon particularily, I've caught more quality fish on cut bluegill than shad. Ran into an old timer one day fishing in the channel off of Carl Cowan Park who said the same thing.

Their easy to catch, not near a smelly and messy, (not that that bothers me, but I do have to go back home to the wife) and seem to be equally if not more effective.

Thoughts???

5. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    OK you asked for thoughts.... "I" believe that bluegil are best when fishing very deep waters. i have caught several flaties in the 40-50 lb range and all on live bluegill. Blues even hit em when youa re fishing deep. Could be the shad dont travel as deep as the gills? maybe gills are a more common sight in deep water? If i fish shad deep mostly they are cut "sometimes i just fold em in half hook right through" but yea i believe gils are best in the summer months and deep water. Hopw bout ur thoughts on the topic now? lolol. Good luck and good fishing.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a nice blue and beating your personal best.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like a good fight, I haven't boated a decent fish in a while. I need to get something big on here soon.

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on your PB David. I fish with both cut shad and live blue gills for big blues. I prefer the live gills, but sometimes they prefer the shad.

9. kevinmays

kevinmays New Member

State:
    tn
    congrats to a fellow knoxvillian. awesome fish
    i fish with gills also.
    but the 2 biggest cats i have caught on rod and reel both over 80 lbs were on shad.

a flathead on a threadfin which is cat candy if the stripers dont take it.
    big blue on a two lb hickory shad alive.

i dont fish w cutbait. all live.