Pb flatty

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by woodchucker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Hey All,
    This is a little late(caught in may),but heres the way it went down.Got set up on the hole about 30 mins before dark.My buddy boats a nice table fairing 13lber about 10pm.Then about 330 in the morning Im awakend by the clicker alarm clock,grab the rod,let her run for about 7 seconds,then let the rod load and slam the hook home(wasent using circles).The fight is on.Using 30lb test ande mono the fight lasted about 15-20minutes(very big headshakes).Got the fish to the boat but couldent pull her up off the bottom,she just wouldent come up.After about another 5 mins going from bow to stern to stern to bow,she blows up on the surface(Huge splash)......I just couldent believe it.Now Im talking to myself saying please dont come off,please dont come unhooked.Well I get her alongside the boat and there is noooo way she will fit into my net(I left the salmon net at thome cause Ive fished this spot for two years and the biggest has only been 16lbs).So the last 5ft of line I had to hand line her in to my hands,put a death grip on the lower jaw and brought her into the boat where she just about took up the whole floor.At that point Im sure you could have heard me yelling a mile down river,my buddy was shocked at the size of the fish but also at the way I was blabberin like a school girl,cause I am usually calm and conservative.Got a measurement(48x34)and a few trys on the digital scale that only goes up to 50lbs.The scale read 65.5lbs,the measurements equate to 69lbs.Either way my pb.The ca state record is 73lbs,soo close.I do beleive this fish was full of eggs,She was sooo fat. I let her go to reproduce and repopulate the majestic species that is the flathead catfish.Watching that fish swim away from me was very rewarding,and will remain close to my heart till the day I die.
    Bill

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/IMG_530366lbflathead.jpg?t=1216679642"
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1216679642[/URL]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/IMG_530666lbflatheadsidewyas.jpg?t=1216836827

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Very nice indeed... congratulations! Can't wait to get home to see the pics to go with the story :) Is that it in your avatar?

3. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    congrats on the pb..thanks for sharin the nice fish..

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Awesome fish. Congrats. Thanks for puttin her back.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a fantastic fish! The weight sounds just right to me: the formula seems to estimate just a little high on flatheads from my experience.

I just love the way a big fish gets to the boat and then just stay down! All you can do is hold on and wait until they tire out a bit.

I think one of my favorite parts of catching a good flathead is holding it in the water alongside the boat after I get my hook out and take a picture. Sounds corny, but I feel privileged to get up close to such wonderful fish. I hate to let go of them, but I love watching them swim off!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great fish, congrats.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Awesome fish. Congrats on a great job and the CPR.

8. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
  9. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Thanks guys,here is another couple shots.Same fish as avatar.I put her on a stringer in the water for a couple of hours and released her in the morning.Was going to release her right after the wieght and measurments were taken but she seemed lathargic and dident kick out of my hands like I felt she should.The way I hooked her I drew a little blood from her gill raker closest to her mouth,so I wanted to make sure she riveved before I relesed her,if she wasent going to make it I would have had to kill and eat her rather than the fish going to waste,but in the morning she rocketed from my grasp and got me soaking wet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/IMG_530366lbflathead.jpg?t=1216847053

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_1948.jpg?t=1216848112

10. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What a catch man. Good story to go with it.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    WOW! THEY GET BIG IN CALI!

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Man thats a huge Flathead.

13. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice , Huge , Flathead. Congrats, he could probably eat my PB.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Very nice flatty I havent even caught one this year.

15. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    WHAT A GIANT! Most of us will fish a lifetime for even a chance at trying to catch one like that! Atta boy from me!

16. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very nice flat, congratulations on catching it.

17. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    awsome fish. looks like a thug to me!

18. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That is an awesome catch! Nice pics too. Congrats

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Awesome flathead, congrats !!!:big_smile:

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    WOW Wood, CONGRATS on your very BIG PB Yellow.

:worship::worship::worship:

Fer what is is worth....since we lost the ability to list our PBs in our profile??? I placed my PBs on my signature even though they are a far cry from yours and allot of others. :0a10: