PB Flathead Catfish 32lbs, 4oz tonight

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    :big_smile:Was at Dutch Gap with my girl tonight from 6-9 after the rain. We had 5 poles out, 3 with live Gill, 1 with Eel chunk and 1 with blue gill head. I was after Blue's cause thats all I ever catch there are them and Channels, and out of nowhere around 7:30 I got hit buy this guy (32lbs, 4 oz) on the Blue Gill head. It was a weird hit, he didnt nail the bait and pull the pole in the water like the Blue's do, the pole was just bobbin, had a 8/0 Gamma circle, 65 lb Power Pro with a 60lb mono leader, 4oz weight on a Penn 10ft spinning combo. I knew he was on though cause he bobbed too many times, I thought he was small, he didnt fight quite the way that the blues do but man he wouldnt let me pull him up like the blues and channels do and when he saw the bank he went crazy. Hell after i got mine in my girl hooked up with a monster on the Eel chunk but she couldnt get him in, he broke the 50lb power pro, I think he got her hung on some debris, but boy was he giving her hell, I couldnt drop my PB Catfish and run to help, I was too close to the water lol, she was just struggling, it was her first time fishing so I'll train her up well, as she's gonna be my new fishing buddy all the time. We didnt get anything else, but I did catch a small gatorade jug line on my heavy baitcasting set up that someone had out and the fish that was on it must have gotten it caught in all kinds of crap. I thought I was pulling in a log but it was the jug with at least 40 weights ranging from 1 ounce -6 ounce with about 6 of the heavy wire leaders. That helped me out with all the lead I lose. Overall it was a good 3 hours fishing. Its nice to catch a good size fish from the bank, and that was the biggest fish I have ever caught other than a 50lb carp, but that doesnt count

Attached Files:

2. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love nights like that. Glad you had fun!

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is one nice fish. Congrats man

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Here's a couple more. I really didnt think he looked as big as he registered. My scale registered 32.9 and the guy next to me read 32.4 so I went with his reading. The fish really did have a huge gut though, you'd have to see him in person to respect his size. I feel kinda bad though, I took him from the river and put him in a lake by my house that I fish in. probably shouldnt have but I have put roughly 20 Channels ranging from 5-10 lbs in there and around 6-10 blue's ranging from 6-12 lbs and now that 32 flat, all since May. He will probably run that lake minus that 50 lb Carp I caught in there. I have caught a 30lb Snapper and my old PB 15 lb Channel out of that lake. There are plenty of nice size bullhead, bluegill, shell crackers, crappie and bass in there for him to eat. And now I have a few decent fish to shoot for in oct-dec to fish in when I dont feel like hittin the river. But I'm supposed to finally get a boat next week so I may never fish there again other than for bait.

Attached Files:

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great lookin fish, congrats on the PB!

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks good Ramon, awesome catch.

You have yourself a very nice BOC avatar image now.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fantastic fish Ramon and welcome to the B.O.C. I will be looking for loads of reports.

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Ramon, I spoke with you a couple weeks down at Pony Pasture. I was walking back to my car and you were heading down to the damn. I was the guy with the green cooler.... hope to see you again fishing. Pony Pasture does have some huge flatheads, way to go on your catch...also on the sinkers too.
    david

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Nice catch! Congrats on the PB. I would have preferred that you returned him to the river where you caught him but it was your decision and your privilege. I just hate seeing an apex predator removed from it's environment. That's just me. Congrats again.

p.s. Good job on getting your gal interested in fishing...now you get the best of both worlds.

Tight lines.

10. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank guys on the BOC Love. Dallison Im goin on vacation for a few weeks, but I will hit you up when I get back to do some Flattin at the Pasture. Hell by the time I get back you will be a professional at Pony Pature lol. Forgot to congratulate you on last weekends fishing. and Bomberman, :sad2: yeah I really do feel bad about taking him from the river as I see alot of people taking Blues and Channels where I fish on the James and not many Flats. When I come back from Vacation I will try at least once a week to catch him and when I do im gonna put him back in the James. But with all those Baitfish in that lake its gonna be hard. Theres blue gill, shell crackers, brim, bullheads, perch(real perch), eels, bass and chain pickeral all in there for him to snack on, not to mention other little catfish

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Congrats Ramon on the PB Flathead! You ought to make one of those pics your new avatar.

If two scales both had 32#+, then I'd assume it's accurate. I've noticed in alot of flathead pics, that they just don't look as big in pictures as blues of comparable size do. They are built a little different.

Keep the reports coming!

12. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I was walking back to the bank at Pony Pasture I walked up to a slaughter. 3 huge flatheads with all the meat cut out of their back sides, they were still alive. I never thought I'd see something like that in a million years but I always see s**t I don't want to see fishing around Richmond. Leave it to me to see the crazy stuff. There are signs posted "Don't eat large catfish" they have too many pcb's in them....go figure:angry:
    3 less giant flatheads for somebody to catch

13. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Congradulations on your new persoonal Ramon! Great catch and thanks for the report!

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    :wink:healthy fish congrats on the pb

15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah Dave, I do feel bad about moving the fish from his environment, but at least I didnt hang him from a chain or rope on a tree and take pics and then cook him. I think he will like his new home and Im the only one who fishes there for Cats, everyone else takes there kids there to fish for gills or Bass fishing, its a private lake for our residents. But I will try to catch him and release him back to the James because I dont know if there's anymore in there to spawn with. I have never caught a flat out of there, but then again I didnt know there were crappie there until a month ago. The little lake has lots of different species in there, I caught my pb 40lb turtle, 15lb channel and 53lb carp from there, so who knows whats in there, guys have told me they caught 10lb bass in there I let blues go in there and channels so we will see. Thanks Steve and Mike

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  16. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Congrats Ramon! A PB is always a great accomplishment, and that's a healthy one. I'm sure those weights put a smile on your face, and will obviously help others from loosing more to that snag :wink: By far though, the best news I'm hearing, is your GF being your new best fishing buddy! Hopefully she'll manage to get her big one in, next go round :smile2:

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Ramon on the new PB. WRTG.

18. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Some nice looking cats congrats on the pb!:big_smile: