PB Blue Thanks To Mo.Hick!!! : )

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blade4130, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Last night I had my first trip out on the missouri river by boat and caught my first ever big blue over 20 thanks to BOC Brother and freind Tom <aka> Mo.Hick. Mine may not be like some of the monsters on here, but it's a great start, damn good fish and I am still smiling from that catch:smile2: also, I know it went back to the water un-harmed and ready for me to catch again in the future when it becomes that gigantic monster.

Before I start with our trip last night. I just want to say to Tom. Thank you so much and I learned a great deal last night on how to navigate the river and how to fish the river. When I get my boat I won't be so scared to put in with my new found knowlege:smile2: I had a blast and <lol>I hope I didn't scare you to badly when my bum knee gave out on me a couple of times. Thanks to your rails me and my new reel may have gone into the water. I am not looking forward to full knee replacment surgury, but I sure can't wait til it's all done and am fully recovered for next year.

I met Tom in person last night for the first time at Cooley Lake. He had his boat put in already and there was a guy pulling out of the water with a big 65 pound blue and another 30 or so pounder. It was awesome to see, but again sad to see those big trophies taken out of the water for good. To each his own and it is legal, but I am down with CPR all the way. I have talked to Tom the last couple of months, but in person he is a hell of a good guy to meet. As we were talking on the shore some dumb ass with his son came down to the river with a gun. Before we knew it he was poppin off shots left and right into the river. <lol> Tom got into his ass and really pissed the guy off. This guy could have easilly acccidentally shot somebody on the river and thank goodness he didn't. I will let Tom tell you all more about that if he wants to, but the guys son realized that his daddy was doing something dangerous and stupid and even shamed his dad into leaving.

So off on the water we go for a night of fun catching cats:smile2: I was a little nervous at first, but a couple of minutes after I was just fine. I have always heard about the asian carp jumping, but never seen it in person. I caught a ton of shad for the trip, but we went after some asian carp. <lol> I had such a blast holding that net trying to net those leaping carp. After getting three we went to graph some places on the river with Tom teaching and showing me the ways of navigating on the river. I know the river is pretty, but never realized just how much so traveling up and down the river by boat. We found some spots to try and got some good hits. Tom had some really nice hits last night, but they kept short hitting him and not fully taking the bait:confused2: I thought for sure he was going to land a couple of nice ones, but he just came back with just a shad head or a half eaten chunk of carp.

I don't even remember what time it was, but near Missouri City in front of a wing dam in shallow water. My outside pole went down hard on whole shad:smile2: On top of that it was on my brand new blue abu blue cat custom edition reel. Those reels are nice looking and awesome. Go get one through Steve at Catfish Safari now <lol>. I grabbed my rod and knew right away I had a good fish. I almost thought that I lost it as it ran to me straight to the boat. Then my pole and drag went off near the boat and the fight was on. I had such a blast last night and catching this fish. Here are some pictures of my PB Blue that went 22 pounds:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Thanks again for everything Tom and even if we didn't catch a thing last night it still would have been a great memerable trip.

Don

Attached Files:

2. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    nice fish !!:wink:

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Congrats on a new PB Don.........

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
  5. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice fish Don, any fish over 20 lbs caught on a rod and reel on the Missouri is a darn nice fish. Sounds like you guys had a good time. Don't ever apologize for being sad that people keep huge fish. In our PC times we all feel like we should preface any thoughts on trotliners, jug liners, or even guys catching huge fish on R/R and keeping hundreds of lbs of by saying "it is legal". Those people are thinking only of themselves, just like we all do from time to time. No one is perfect, but it is a shame that people insist on keeping big fish when there are so many smaller ones that can be kept for eating. We all need to ask what is best for our sport and society, not what we think is our given right. Okay, done preaching and don't want to hijack your thread. Great fish.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on your first trip out and your new PB. Sounds like Old Tom hooked you up.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats of the new PB! Nice fish

8. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I greatly appreciate the congrats on my catch from all you guys. There will be bigger one's in the future for sure in store for me as well all of you. I just want to give a special big thanks to Tom. Thanks for this site and all of you BOC members that makes this site the best place to be. I have learned so much from many of you.

Sincerely,

Don

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Don glad you are the one that caught the fish. It was worth it just to see how excited you were with the fish. This made the night for me. Congrats young man. Will have to do it again.

Tom

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
  11. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Nise fish and a great story.Thanks for the post.

12. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I would love to do it again Tom. If not before my surgury then next year. I hope Brandon gets his motor running soon so he can get back out on the river.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a new PB, keep on fishing and break it again!

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Don,

Thanks for a great story and congrats on your PB blue that's a great start Reps to you

15. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    That Tom is one great guy ,Glad to see you got a PB,It can only get better:wink:

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you and thanks to Tom!!

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats on the PB Don !!! Now your addicted , huh ?:smile2:

18. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Congrats on the new PB.

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Congrats Don and thanks to Mo Hick for taking him out.It's great that you guys are willing to share your knowledge and put up with us river newbies. I am still trying to catch my first blue of any significance. As some of you can attest I am pretty good on the channel cats so I'm willing to trade any of you guys a trip on the river for 40-50 channel cats.

20. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    It is addicting for sure. After all these years getting my trophy channel going 20. I am now focused on going after big blues and flats. I will still never quit going for channels. That trip just made it to where I really can't wait for next year and getting a boat again now that I actually know a thing or two about boating in the Missouri River. Delbert if you ever need somebody to go after those channels PM me. When I have a boat again I won't mind at all bringing other members on here out on the river to learn with me:smile2: